Does the i7-3770K outperform the i7-3930K?

D0M1N13

Hey guys!

I have a pretty big dilemma: I've been planning a build for months now, and I have everything picked out, but I'm beginning to question my choice to opt for a 3930K.
The benchmarks show that in most cases the i7-3770k outperforms the i7-3930k as shown in this link:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=552

I am planning on doing macro programming, using Visual Studio 2012, compiling, graphics, working on big programs, multitasking and the works. Really won't need it for gaming that much.
What do you guys think? I could really use some advice.

Here's my planned system:

Graphics Adapter: 3072 MB ATI Radeon HD7970
System Memory: 16 GB [2x 8GB] DDR3-1866 Corsair Vengeance
Hard Disk / SSD: 250 GB SSD + 1,0 TB hard disk drive
CPU Cooler: 3x120mm Silent Zalman CNPS12X High Performance
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Case: NZXT Phantom Big-Tower black
Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 | 750W (80+ Gold)

I am planning on doing macro programming, using Visual Studio 2012, compiling, graphics, working on big programs, multitasking and the works. Really won't need it for gaming that much.
What do you guys think? I could really use some advice.

I would go with the 3770K over the 3930K. As you will notice with a lot of benchmarks comparing the two. The price increase isn't justified for the amount of increase in performance.

Just a couple more things to think about
If you're not going to be gaming, you will not need the power of a HD 7970 and can save your money by choosing something a bit cheaper. For instance, a HD 7870 or 7850. Also, I wouldn't go with that power supply that you picked out. I've never heard of it and when you choose a PSU, you will always want something of QUALITY. Some reputable brands: Antec, Corsair and Seasonic. All will provide great PSU's with the exception of Corsair's builder series.

If you decide to pick up the 3770K as I suggested. You will need a new motherboard then the one you picked out. The 3770K runs on a different socket type. Here is a board I would recommend pairing with the 3770K.

I have to agree with Blkfx1about the video card. The Be Quiet power supply is made by Seasonic so it should be fine if a bit over powered for a computer that really won't be used for playing games.

The 3930K has 2 more cores and 4 more threads so will perform quite a bit better in multithreaded applications. The reason why you're seeing the 3770K slightly higher in some benchmarks is because of its higher stock speed (3.5Ghz vs 3.2Ghz), but at the same clocks the 3930K will be better than or at least equal to the 3770K. So the question you need to ask yourself is if those programs you use take advantage of multiple threads.

If you're going to get a 3930K get at least 32GB (4x8GB) of RAM to take advantage of the quad channel memory, otherwise the price premium probably won't be justifiable.

The 3930k has 6 cores, 12 mb cache while the 3770k has 4 cores and 8 mb cache if that's what you're asking.

The Be Quiet power supply is made by Seasonic so it should be fine if a bit over powered for a computer that really won't be used for playing games.
I had no idea, well now I know : ).

VS2012 compiles 1 project per thread in dot net applications so will almost linearly gain with core number (e.g. an application I work on on a day to day basis has over 80 projects in it and gain massively from core numbers in VS2012 over VS2010). It won't compile a project if a prerequisite (I.e. reference) hasn't compiled yet so a solution with 12 projects is very unlikely to compile all projects simultaneously regardless of processor!

So 8 threads vs 12 threads at their respective clocks/other performance. I'm pretty sure in large apps, the 3930K will win compilation tests. Small apps (in particular 8 to say about 15 projects or less) will most likely not benefit from more threads.

Back