Does this sound like the hdd is going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I was working with a computer that is rarely used but for a type of server. I use it as part of my whole house audio and to store some videos and music plus some other things. I was working with it a little when it just slowed down to slower than a crawl. I had to do a hard reset. When I started it back up (or tried) it looked like it started but when I came back the screen was black. I restarted again and it would go through the windows logo but only to a black screen. I tried again and again but to no avail. I then tried to boot into safe mode but it would not happen. I shut it down and turned off all power. I pushed the power button to release any current that was left. I restarted and it is now running. What does it sound like to anyone.

I was working with a computer that is rarely used but for a type of server. I use it as part of my whole house audio and to store some videos and music plus some other things. I was working with it a little when it just slowed down to slower than a crawl. I had to do a hard reset. When I started it back up (or tried) it looked like it started but when I came back the screen was black. I restarted again and it would go through the windows logo but only to a black screen. I tried again and again but to no avail. I then tried to boot into safe mode but it would not happen. I shut it down and turned off all power. I pushed the power button to release any current that was left. I restarted and it is now running. What does it sound like to anyone.

Download, install and scan your HDD with this freeware program called HD Tune
http://www.hdtune.com/

It should tell you how your smart HDD is doing.. Look at the Health and Error Scan areas.
After your done report back. Also go get yourself another HDD for backup or clone that HDD now just in-case it acts up. What you report could be memory going bad or is bad, other issues video, PSU (power supply unit failing also) You might want to look into WD Passport USB drives to make a copy of your media. Once these are gone that's it.. If the Hive goes on the HDD, well you don't want that to happen. It happen to me I lost all my media files.

I went to event viewer and for the time it was having problems it says warning and then disk 8 times. One says ftdisk and another say hidBth. What is your take on that?

I went to event viewer and for the time it was having problems it says warning and then disk 8 times. One says ftdisk and another say hidBth. What is your take on that?

Drive is failing you have some time but not by much get another HDD clone it or copy the data to a new HDD or USB WD Passport HDD to save your media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back