Doing mulitple upgrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanaki2007

I've had a Presario s4020wm for a while now and have upgraded it multiple times. I'm wanting to upgrade the gpu (again), but the psu is severly lacking anymore. Here are current specs:

PSU-stock 200w
cpu-AMD Athlon XP 2.0ghz
chipset-VIA ProSavageDDR KM266
ram-1 GB edge
hd- 80gb, 160 gb both western digital ide
current gpu-nvidia gforce 5500fx

I was thinking I need to upgrade the power supply and the video card both. If i just go ahead and replace both of those I a $150 budget abouts and I'm not sure about how psu's are chosen. I've heard you need to check size, rail speed, wattage, number of cables, etc etc and I just got confused.

My other concern with doing upgrades lately is the whole computer overall. IDE drives seem to be a thing of the past and I dont have SATA connectors, The PSU is getting on the slower end, max supported ram is 1GB, you see where I'm going. Should I look at waiting or putting my money elsewhere?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Save up for awhile and put your cash into a new system. It's simply not worth upgrading your current one anymore, with $500 being able to get you a very decent system that is far more powerful than your current one.

If you want help on components for a new system, give us a budget, your location (fill out your profile with your system specs and location while you're at it) and whether or not you'll be willing to buy online, and we'll be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back