Doom III screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demiurg

E3 has started and id Software are showing off Doom III. Gamespy has a preview as well as screenshots.
Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me, but as usual the nay-sayers at Shacknews are disappointed: "It really doesn't look all that amazing. Typical of this industry, this game has already been way overhyped. It doesn't even come close to delivering what I was expecting." ... "Pitch black razor-sharp shadows??? Yeah, that's real. Urgh, I'm just upset because I reaaally looked forward to this and now I see that they've been lying* to me. I've seen all this before! Next-gen my ***.".
Which makes we wonder - if everything (and, yes, they nag at every game) is so disappointing and bad, why do they even bother playing games? Must be frustrating to never like anything at all.

* Edited by moderator

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 63
That is what happens when you hype something way too much. As was the case with Diablo 2. It is a grewat game and I love playing it but when I first saw it I was disapointed because it didn't live up to the hype. This is the case with too many games as well as other things today. Developers begin hyping their product even before they have it off the drawing board.

As for Doom III, looks good to me, though I haven't been subjected to much hype about it.

LOL i was just gonna post this. Yeah this is Hopefully a game to knock Unreal's butt of top spot. Well will soon see almost everygame with Quake 3 / Doom3 enginge or Unreal2 enginge.

Lets hope my specs are enough maybe i havr to disable Antiannilising 4* for first time! ! !! !

Dunno, think they're just a bunch of whingers. The shots look pretty great, I guess they've got the gamma up a bit more than is needed though. The lighting seems pretty damn excellent in that dark corridor shot.

It was a hidden option in Doom I.
Did you not know that Demiurg? ;) :haha:

Obviously the next game by the people that invented PC FPS is going to be over hyped. But it still looks really stunning. I think they are whinging about nothing. Could they not have said "Its very over hyped but looks like a good product on its own merit if you ignore the hype".... :rolleyes:

That looks like its going to be one of these really chilling games like Half Life. I hope it has a story to match.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
That looks like its going to be one of these really chilling games like Half Life. I hope it has a story to match.

Hopefully. At least they've got a scifi/horror writer for the story - a guy named Matthew Costello. Never heard of him though.

BTW, don't miss the Doom III: The Legacy movie if you're interested in the title. Some cool stuff from the game as well as short interviews with the god Carmack and Trent Reznor etc. Nice quality as well. Fragland has it for example (93 MB/QuickTime).

(Arris: That would have been truly mindboggling - imagine playing Doom 1993 and a hidden level takes you to Doom III...)

UPDATE: A re-encoded version of the film has been released, which has better framerates in the in-game sequences. 3D Gamers has it.

I somehow doubt my 486 could have handled Doom III :D
Incase you can't get the download from the links provided
Try FileMirrors(where I got it ;) )and do a search for "Doom_3". The file is ~90mb.

The more I see it the more I like it. It's not just the lighting and level of details that are amazing, but also stuff like collision detection and skeletal animation, which seems even better than in the new Unreal engine. The way the body of the fat zombie reacts to the monster chewing on him on the floor of the toilet is just...tasty.
It's also nice to see some efforts going into monstermaking as I'm all for monsters above boring humans when it comes to games - and almost all games nowadays concentrate on "realism", which means humans.

certainly looks better than UT2003.
hopefully, UT2003's spec is more forgiving. and if it is so, it may have more players..

Originally posted by Phantasm66

I agree, but this IS Doom, who really needs a good story as long as it looks cool and you get to "walk through dark places, see wonderfully rendered scary monsters, kill monsters horribly"

It would be great if it has a good story line but as long as the game play is as good as the graphics I'll be happy.

Originally posted by Tedman
Hope the multiplayer will be great. Or is there gonna be a multiplayer? No AIMBOT?

Multiplayer is in, at least deathmatch. I guess one problem will be that Doom III supposedly is way slower than QIIIA for example, but then there's of course the mod community which surely will be ecstatic over the engine's possibilities.

Speaking of physics and collision detection (see above), Gamespy has an interview with Jan Paul van Waveren on the physics engine.:

We can even simulate bullets in the physics engine. So, bullets are fast-moving objects - if you do intersection testing, it won't work. It's going to pass through everything. So we can calculate exactly where bullets intersect, where they collide with the environment, and then you have a ricochet in there, it just comes with the physics. ... For instance, when the imp spawns in the room (the last map that was shown), the tables fly in the air, different particles are going on there, You've got an explosion which causes the tables to fly in the air; the table hits a lamp or a light that's hanging from the ceiling and starts swinging. And then there are shadows on everything; even on the physics objects that are moving; we've got a light attached to that swinging lamp, so we've got shadows moving around everywhere.

I was watching "Nothing but Next" on CNN earlier and they had E3 coverage on there.
They showed some actual game footage from the Doom III booth. That screenshot up there looks great but it is nothing compared to the footage they showed.
Whoever the guy was who said this was nothing special....he is an *****. Those graphics looked very realistic, not just the scenery but the monsters, they looked as good as anything Hollywood has turned out lately. The movements are fluid, very sleek.... Too bad we have to wait a year and a half for the final product.

Tedman your soo right ive givern up with fileplant. I use download mirrors from countrys that are quiet. Such as at night time or morning in there country.

Originally posted by Tedman

File Planet sucks...

Originally posted by Arris
I somehow doubt my 486 could have handled Doom III :D
Incase you can't get the download from the links provided
Try FileMirrors(where I got it ;) )and do a search for "Doom_3". The file is ~90mb.

Filemirrors doesn't... not as much as Vileplanet anyway... ;)

"I Smell Fear!"

Footage of the 11 minute gameplay video of Doom III shown at E3 can be found here.
Not the best quality, but amazing stuff nonetheless.

Re: "I Smell Fear!"

Originally posted by Demiurg
Footage of the 11 minute gameplay video of Doom III shown at E3 can be found here.
Not the best quality, but amazing stuff nonetheless.

You probably smell fear because I may have emptied my bowels watching that footage... ;) :eek:

I have read that the DOOM3 demo was only run at MEDIUM quality!!

"We actually screwed up at E3 -- we should have been running it at high quality settings (uncompressed textures, anisotropic filtering), but we were chasing some problems the first day, and it got set back to medium quality. The problems had gone away, so we left it that way, rather than risk changing it back."

Sigh looks like i will need a new computer now!

:(

Originally posted by Tweakster
I have read that the DOOM3 demo was only run at MEDIUM quality!!
I wonder what that means though really, e.g. were models at lower detail settings & did it mean textures were highest quality only compressed or what...... Anyway it still looked great, excellent lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back