TechSpot

Dorkbot worm spreading via Skype, installs nasty ransomware

By Shawn Knight
Oct 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A malware infection is quickly spreading over Skype IM that can allow the author to lock a user out of their PC and demand a ransom. The payload is delivered in the form of a spoofed message from someone on...

Read more

2. Skype bots posting malicious links to people have existed for a verrrrry long time. Why is this news?

3. j05hh

j05hh TS Rookie Posts: 100   +15

Bots like this are common in chat messenger programs. I've seen this most frequent with msn messenger. Nothing new here.

4. Quote: "Skype bots posting malicious links to people have existed for a verrrrry long time. Why is this news?"

because there are a lot of new people, old people, young people, non techies, (ie:most people) that don't know.

5. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Old :p but still an interesting read.

6. I really love all you armchair analysts. "Nothing new here", "why is this news". This is news because the perps are demanding $200 or they threaten to destroy your computer! $200 is a lot of money and amounts to ransom. If you look beyond the tip of your nose, you will realize that, guess what, this is a really highly illegal activity.

That's why this is news.

7. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Much of it doesn't make sense... still, I'd want to find that dork creator of this thing and have him dive head-down in a Scottish public toilet...

cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

@above guest

You must forgive thier jaded responses. They must have seen it all and know no one who could benifit from this knowledge. I however, know plenty of ppl who could use this knowledge to protect themselves from this malware. I plan on informing the friends I know, and customers I deal with, about this and to watch for it. TY TechSpot, since everyone else seems to much of a jackwagon, for this tidbit of info.

9. What will you tell them though? Don't click on links sent from random strangers? Don't download random files you know nothing about? Don't run strange random files you just downloaded? Cause those are the most basic rules ever about not getting virus's. If they aren't doing those things already then warning them about ONE single virus is hardly going to help them :p

10. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

"The payload is delivered in the form of a spoofed message from someone on the target?s contact list with the text ?lol is this your new profile pic?? or a similar variant. "

11. I'm beginning to fear that the only way of preventing a faulty executable to run is to check it is truly OK.
    Like Apple is doing on iPhone and also possible on OSX: only run things from their app-store.

12. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Because this is a new variant. Because it's sensible to maintain awareness of these things. Because this is a tech news site.

13. Well, we had infection with this worm last week in my company, caught from some Russian contact. However, I am not aware that anyone had their computer locked out and that they asked them to pay for it.
    Nevertheless, our IT department resolved the issue, although we are on different continents, and now we are clean.
    But I am glad to have learned the name of it :)

14. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

yes - - but haven't you heard; An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Newbies NEED this information (psst; while Internet access is ubiquitous, the acceptance is not yet 100%) and everyone can stand another reminder - - that's everyone other than ...
    The name is irrelevant but the implementation info reenforces your analysis of what NOT to do. After reading the details, my reaction was more sympathetic - - Boy I bet those that didn't know are sure sorry now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.