TechSpot

Dos command/syntax

By Amir46
Feb 5, 2004
  1. Hello I can't find the DOS command to move a file from one computer to another on a network. Help!

2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

With Explorer, highlight the file you want to move, then at the top of Explorer, select Edit/Cut.
    Then go to your receiving PC and highlight the Directory in which you want to put that file, then click Edit/Paste.
    The Cut will only work if you have Read/Write permission. If not, just select Copy instead of Cut.

No need to use DOS, and it would not work anyway, because there is no networking under DOS.

4. Spike

realblackstuff: I know it won't work from dos on it's own, but surely it's capable of networking in the form of the windows commandline???

According to the link I posted, it's possible to automate the sending/recieving of specified files etc at startup in this way. I've never seen it before though.

I have to agree that in the main it's easier to do it from explorer though, even if it could be done through DOS.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

move \\sourcehost\share\folder\file \\destinationhost\share\folder\file

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

RBS - many network admins are in situations where they have to move files across networks via command line and it does work.

7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

LNCPapa, I would not expect these DOS-commands to work on NTFS-partitions, which are the most common on networks, hence my (perhaps a bit bold) statement.

8. Spike

Out of interest, has anybody tried typing "ftp -?" at the command line?

No, I didn't mean /? I meant -? :D

That's what I read anyways. Be interesting to know how well it works

9. DaveSylvia

DaveSylvia TS Rookie Posts: 107

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

DOS commands work just fine on NTFS formatted drives - all my windows based machines are strictly NTFS.

11. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I think Amir46 wasn't precise enough by saying DOS command, I guess he meant a command to type from the command line.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.