TechSpot

Dotcom wants to revive project to lay Internet cable across the Pacific

By Shawn Knight
Nov 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom is hoping to revive a two year old undersea broadband cable project that stalled out earlier this year due to insufficient funding. Pacific Fibre intended to lay 6,500 miles worth of cable between Australia, New Zealand...

Read more

2. Nicko Bellic

Nicko Bellic TS Rookie

Firstly the United States doesn't have to "allow" the pipe, and even if it did, it would go into Mexico or Canada and have the same effect.

Secondly $330 million is chump change to IT companies, and not a lot of money. I can think of any number of companies who'd be willing to pay for the whole project simply to own advertising rights on the pipeline.

3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

IDK about this one. It seems to be an altruistic move on Dotcoms part. Something completly out of character for this guy. He must either be suffering from damn near dial up speeds or its secretly a burger pipeline to his house! This guy is 15 shades of shady. If he is doing this you can bet there is something in it for him.

4. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 516   +86

$330 million is nothing for big business and it's a good idea.

5. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 383   +70

How will the pipe be better then what we have right now?

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,120   +723

really? nothing huh? you mean $ as in USD, not 330 million turkish lira, right? I know who you voted for today. If any number of companies would pay for this, we'd have it already. And it wouldn't have the same effect going through Mexico or Canada. The movies are made in LA, and would be leaked from LA. Kinda defeats the purpose of fiber if you have to send your movies slowly somewhere else before they can head over to his servers.

There are lots of risks with undersea pipelines. Did you know sharks are drawn to the electromagnetic fields they throw off and chew through them? http://yarchive.net/phone/oceanic_cable.html Not to mention earthquakes, especially around CA.

7. Really hoping this works!

Internet speeds/prices/datacaps in New Zealand are shocking! When I lived in the UK I paid NZ$5 per month for unlimited capped 20mbps ADSL2. In NZ I have to pay NZ$100 per month for 6mbps ADSL with a 50Gb cap, and thats classed as a heavy user!!! :(

8. Trechie

Trechie TS Rookie

Mike,
    I assume Dotcom is thinking fiber optics, which do not emit electromagnetic fields. I don't know why sharks like these cables, but unless there is copper wire with current going through it, there is no magnetic field there.

9. You do know that fiber optics are signals of light, not electricity, right? They don't have electromagnetic fields anymore than the trees in your backyard do... go try to stick a refrigerator magnet on one of them. I bet the pirates would enjoy having a 6,500 mile wifi hotspot to check their Facebook though... Aaargh.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,091   +1,519

How exactly would a fiberoptic line create a wifi hotspot across the ocean?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.