Double security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

My friend has a Toshiba labtop, and each time he turns it on, he is asked immediately for password, after enter his password, he is then led to normal XP password request screen. I asked him and was informed that the first password request is customizable and was already installed when he bought the labtop. It seems to be a good security measure since Windows does not attempt to start until password is given. And I "want" it. Anyone have any idea how to get this program? Is it available to Toshiba only? ...

It is ten o'clock on a beautiful Tuesday morning here in San Fernando Valley as I await Chinese New Year. Happy New Year to those who celebrate it. :)

You can probably go into your CMOS and select to have a boot password.

Sounds like a BIOS password maybe? You may want to try hitting something like Delete when you boot your machine. There should be some sort of option for setting up an administrative password.

Usually two types of passwords....hard drive and system. One thing to keep in mind....if you forget the PW, the only one able to get it back for you is the manufacturer.....not all laptops are reconfigurable from the motherboard. For that reason, I usually opt to just put a hard drive password on. That way, if for some reason I forget it.......a hard drive is a helluva lot cheaper than a new laptop or service from the manufacturer.

Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back