Download link disguised as an article

ThrakazogZ

I clicked on the Opera GX article posted today, because I was genuinely interested in what the browser might offer. To my surprise, the article link immediately started to download something onto my PC. Sorry Techspot, but that's some shady sh!t. I expect better. I'll be avoiding even trying Opera GX now, based on principle.

Unless you accidentally clicked on the Download Now button, there's no reason why it should be automatically getting the file. What browser and extensions were you using?

I disagree that it's posted as an article or it's disguised in some way. The item in question says 'Download of the week' on the main page:

operagx_item.png

And clicking on this takes you directly to our Downloads section:

operagx_item2.png

Firefox. Clicking on any of the 4 articles above it go to an actual article. Clicking on anything (picture or text) on "The browser for gamers" article starts an immediate download.
Screenshot 2022-11-15 111647.jpg

Ah, now I see - my apologies, I thought you were referring to the other Opera download piece. You're quite right that it starts downloading immediately.

Not sure if that's by design or whether it's an error and should be going to the Download page for it instead.

I'll flag it up for you.

Thank you. I just had the expectation that when I click on it, it would take me to a download page that gave a description of the software, and the choice to download it. Hopefully it's just an error. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

That’s an ad for Opera GX. It does say instant download on the byline :D

I understand some may not love the idea of that but it’s a new campaign and we’re still experimenting with native formats and so on.

At the end of the day, the ad has the intention to have people learn about GX and download it/use it, so we'll take your feedback in consideration and perhaps avoid the direct download.

Back