TechSpot

Download of the Week: Black Mesa 1.0

By Jos
Sep 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Black Mesa, the long-anticipated fan remake of Half-Life, has officially gone live today after eight years in development. For those hearing about this mod project for the first time, it involves a ground-up rewrite of Half-Life using Valve's Source Engine,...

Read more

2. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Enthusiast Posts: 127   +36

They're waiting for you, Gordon. In the tesssst chamberrrrr....

DanUK and captainawesome like this.
  3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 878   +228

Oh.
    My.
    God.

4. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

What the...
    I don't even....

Finally!

5. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 145   +10

Darn I dont have any source game on my PC :S I do have the original HL
    This looks cool.

6. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,073   +100

You don't need another game for this, just need the 2007 source sdk which is free.

7. customcarvin

customcarvin TS Enthusiast Posts: 103   +8

Also on NZB matrix.. downloading at 3.1 MB/s :)

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

The right game in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up Mr. Freeman.

9. Is it me or is the download painfully slow? I'm using BitTorrent, but while my internet connection is ~20Mbps minimum, I haven't gone above 300Kbps with the torrent.

10. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

The torrent is coming down at 3.2MB/sec for me.

11. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 927   +104

Downloaded it, took less than an hour. Installed, and WOW, looks great, sounds great, the memories are great. Everyone should give this a download having played it or not.

12. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

I've got it downloaded now, this is gonna be great fun to play through!
    I have been looking forward to this for sooo many years!

13. Black Mesa is a Half-Life 2 total conversion, remaking Valve Software's award-winning PC game, Half-Life.

^^ From the download page :)

14. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I really appreciate all the hard work this team put in, and for free. But jumping is way off in this version. What's with the crouch-jump? And the part you jump box to box suspended over the water in Black Mesa took me about 20 trys. Wound up just saving after each jump. Sometimes it takes the jump, sometimes not.

15. Incredibly slowly? 300kbps is what I peak at, on a good day, when the planets are aligned perfectly and the Gods on Mt Olympus have an orgy. Australian ADSL2+ ftw

mevans336 likes this.
  16. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 355   +57

That is dial-up speeds there, if that is all you get on your ADSL then you are getting ripped off badly.

17. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Would definitely love to give this a try. Hope my average or less than average specs can handle it xD

18. @Camikazi

@Camikazi: Dial-up is about 5kbps download speed (since rarely people actually hit 56k which would be 7kbps).

Anyways I have a 60Mb connection (actually 63.39 according to speedtest.net). When the server permits I download at over 8,000kbps. Black Mesa downloaded at only 300kbps however, due to the limited speed host I downloaded from. I should have used a torrent since this is a hot download right now, it probably has a lot of seeders. I just didn't want to install a torrent program on my computer.

19. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 355   +57

Yea I exaggerated, but that speed is low though :)

20. Soulflare3

Soulflare3 TS Member

If you're downloading via torrent and want faster speeds you have to edit your client settings and allow more connections to be made at once. Example: http://prntscr.com/fn421

21. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

There were about 10,000 seeds when I finished my download and yet I still wound up seeding it back to a 40:1 ratio in the span of half a day or so. Crazy. Very popular download.

22. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

You do realise there is a MASSIVE difference between 'b' and 'B'?

23. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Im speechless. kodos to the remaker!!!

24. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 580   +98

Any game reviews by TechSpot for this?

25. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 193   +8

Played for a few hours yesterday and it was pretty nostalgic! Very nicely done.

I do however get this feeling that... because times have moved on quite a bit since the source engine was released, coupled with the fact I haven't played Half Life 1 in ages.. that the graphics haven't improved at all.

I know obviously they have but it's all relative.. if you get what I'm trying to say.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.