Download of the Week: InvisibleHand browser add-on

By Jos
Mar 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. InvisibleHand is a price comparison browser extension for Firefox 3.5+, Google Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer that notifies you if a product you are looking at on a particular online store is available for less from another retailer. Although it may not be the first add-on of its kind, it stands out for the fact that it's very easy to forget that it's even there -- it operates in the background and remains completely invisible unless it finds useful data to display.

Read the whole story
  2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,009   +37

Anyone on here try this yet? Worth a shot?
  3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,446   +269

We are recommending it for a reason, we have tried it, good enough? :)
  4. andreasf93

andreasf93 Newcomer, in training Posts: 25

I've used it few times. It's useful, but sometimes it can be annoying.
  5. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Why does everyone forget Australia :(? Oh well, I have the same thing available for OzGameShop.com which works exactly the same...
  6. I have used it for quite some time, it has saved me some money. It's not so annoying to me. When it comes across an item I am looking at, a yellow bar appears at the top with the lowest price it can find, very simple.
  7. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 451   +62

Actually Juilo, it isn't good enough. The article sounded more like an advertisement than an in depth critique of the product. How safe is this product?, Is it full of bloatware? Is the installation easy?, Is the uninstall a pain?..Where are these type of questions and their answers?
  8. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,980   +53 Staff Member

@darkshadoe Fair enough. These posts are not meant as in depth reviews but rather as recommendations of things we encounter and find useful. That said, some of the questions you ask are answered on the linked FAQ page. About installing/uninstalling, it's a 160KB browser extension, so that should take less than a second and no more than a single click.
  9. phillai

phillai Newcomer, in training Posts: 25

I can't seem to get this working in Firefox 4... :(
  10. I have used it several times. Match quality is fair, speed is sometimes slow. But worth having on. However I found another add-on called FreePriceAlerts that I have been running at the same time, seems faster, better matches and the prices they find are usually lower. The Alerts is a lot less obtrusive then invisible Hand as well.
  11. Dawnr

Dawnr Newcomer, in training

I too have used Invisible Hand in the past. At times it seemed to crash my browser and seemed a bit sluggish. Late last year I discovered FreePriceAlerts and have been using that exclusively now.

It was a simple download, sits in the background until you need it and I like how with FreePriceAlerts you can set up an alert for when the item drops in price you get an email notification.
  12. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,446   +269

Well, no we wouldn't recommend anything unsafe or full of bloatware, that's supposed to be a given. We won't ever mix advertisement with editorial, another given for us. Installation? For a browser add-on?... Anyhow, like Jose mentioned, our Download of the Week series is meant to bring to your attention tools or software that we've tried and consider useful, not necessarily must-haves to everybody.

Furthermore, as it just happened with this recommendation, our readers' collective knowledge came up with an alternative solution (FreePriceAlerts) that according to some of you is a superior choice. Way to go! :)
  13. I've tried this and a few other and have settled on the BargainMatch Firefox Extension.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.