Download of the Week: Trillian Astra

By Jos
Jun 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It’s been a long time coming but Cerulean Studios has finally released – albeit in public beta form – the next major version of its multi-protocol instant messaging client, Trillian Astra. It supports the usual IM networks (Yahoo, Google, ICQ, Windows Live, AOL, Jabber/XMPP) as well as other services like MySpace, Facebook, Skype, and Twitter, and you can even use the program to stay on top of your various email accounts.

Read the whole story
  2. kodrutz

kodrutz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 145

A few years back, I was using Trillian and it was a pleasure. In the meantime, I realized I simply don't need most of its features, and I switched to Pidgin. While Astra won't make me turn back to Trillian, I may give it a try, when the final version arrives (I hope there will be some free trial available).
  3. polidiotic

polidiotic Newcomer, in training Posts: 103

Ditto to that. Limited IM functionality is basically all I need, these days: the ability to chat and send/receive files. =/ I've been using Pidgin for the last couple of years, but I did use Trillian in its hay day.
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,520   +311

I'm sticking to Trillian myself (version 3 and now the 4 beta). I know Pidgin and Miranda are good and I know many users swear by them, but for me their interfaces keep lacking polish and even when extensible, I find Trillian offering just about what I need from a simple, configurable IM client out of the box.

Again, I don't use any advanced features but the overall package fits me well, even despite of the multiple delays and near abandonment of Trillian 3.
  5. I downloaded Astra this weekend. I have been using Trillian 3.1 for a while now. Astra seems to force you to create an account (presumably with Cerulean) before you can enter the information for your chat accounts. Getting part way through this procedure I decided I really didn't like the idea of layering yet another account I have to maintain so I removed Astra and gave Pidgin a try. I think I like it better than Trillian and it seems to start a little quicker on my netbook.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.