TechSpot

Downloaded a video from Bittorrent... but it need to install security update?

By Mr.Fork
Oct 14, 2006
  1. Call me stupid, but after downloading a torrent avi divx video file, I tried to play it when it prompted me to update my DRM or security for Windows Media Player. The error code is C00D2728 but this reminds me of a spyware attempt to install through a backdoor in WMP.

Am I being paranoid? It doesn't make any sense. Since I'm using the k-lite pack and registered DIVX video file, wtf is it updating?

I think something is off with this file - trojan?

Anyways, I'm deleting it.

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

......? And this thread is here why?

3. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

He thoguht it was appropiate here because he downloaded a video and now he has a problem with a video.

4. Mr.Fork

Mr.Fork TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

F1N3ST - Thought maaaaaybe the forum subtopic Audio and Video might of been a good place to post. But what do I know. :)

Anyone else come across this?

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I think you`re quite right to delete the file. It probably is a trojan, or at least the so called security update will be.

Regards Howard :)

6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Yeah basicly all torrent video files you come accross have trojan attactments, I only do LiveStreams to watch videos.. crap qaulity but will save your computer

7. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Im just kinda pointin out his topic was a statement not a question, idk.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.