Downloading from the Internet is fouled up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhinotough

I have been experiencing trouble downloading and being able to run downloaded programs. My Firefox has not been able to apply downloaded updates, nor has my Avast which then expired. I downloaded it but it would not install. I also downloaded Rhapsody, which I already have an account for, and it won't recognize the internet. Can't wait to hear from you guys!

Are you certain your hard drive is good?
Can you boot in <SAFE MODE>? If so, se what you can do there.
I would run Avast or Avira, SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, and MalwareBytes in safe mode... making them available from a USB drive from another machine.

Post-antivirus

I ran SAS and MBAM (attached is the MBAM log). They each found a couple things but nothing like the last time i scrubbed the comp. I still cannot install Avast. I was able to install Avira but it instantly alerted me that it was out of date and then unsuccessfully searched for an update for itself. I then ran a check with Avira and found nothing. What should i do next?

rerun Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and configure to take some action :)

When you can, install Spybot S&D, use mode->advance
click tools, enable ALL
then check ActiveX and BHO.

Also install Firefox and abandon using IE!

Oh I never use IE but Firefox won't update anymore which I find a little disturbing. I downloaded Spybot but it also "could not establish a connection with the server".

What can I do to MABM to have it take some action?

There is no "Options" tab though there are "Settings" and "More Tools" tabs. All the boxes are checked in the "Settings" tab except for the "disable IE while scanning" option. I don't know what to do with the "More Tools" stuff or if they're helpful. Any suggestions?

It would be helpful to know the configuration of the computer with which we are dealing?
Brand, model, age, age of hard drive.
It may be that it has too many worn out parts.

Your log shows that registry keys are infection and there was no removal. Can you comment on that? Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\y537.y537mgr (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\y537.y537mgr.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e7f15ac4-e0a9-43f0-921b-70dfea621220} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{e7f15ac4-e0a9-43f0-921b-70dfea621220} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{e7f15ac4-e0a9-43f0-921b-70dfea621220} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

Tell us more?

Great. It's an emachines el1200-01e desktop, 6 months old, runs XP Home, and has the original hard drive. I'm not sure why it says "no action taken" since i did delete them. I also ran a second scan a while ago. The log for that is attached.

You have not acted on what has been posted. You have an eMachines which is by far the most problematic computer we see.
You have at least five infestations.
We do not know what removal tools you have attempted.
I recommend you download and scan with Windows Defender, Avast or Avira Antispyware, and MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SpySweeper, Spyware doctor ( at least two of the four)
Then run again in SAFE MODE.
Then run a scan with HiJackThis, then send the log to Techspot for an evaluation by whomever is up and has the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back