Dragon Age III: Inquisition confirmed, won't repeat DA II's mistakes

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's no secret that BioWare is working on a new Dragon Age game, but the developer has just made its first official announcement about the title, providing a few vague details about its features. Mark Darrah, executive producer of the Dragon Age franchise, revealed today that the third entry, now known as Dragon Age III: Inquisition, has been in production for about two years (since before the launch of last March's sequel).

Dragon Age II was widely criticized for lacking depth and polish. Many felt that its story and characters were shallow, that the combat had been needlessly simplified from Dragon Age: Origins, and perhaps most damningly, that the quests and environments were repetitive, with a handful of instances being recycled many times throughout the game. Fortunately for Dragon Age fans, it seems BioWare has taken that feedback to heart.

"We've visited message boards, read reviews, and we've gone to events to have direct face to face conversations with some of our most passionate fans. We've been listening, and we will continue to listen," Darrah said. He reassured gamers that Inquisition is in good hands, citing his professional background with Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age: Origins as well as personal interests in D&D and pen and paper games.

Darrah said Inquisition's team consists of many BioWare veterans who worked on Origins as well as some of the company's fresh talent. He said the upcoming entry features a new Frostbite 2-based engine that will facilitate a more expansive world, better visuals, more meaningful player choices, improved tactical combat and greater customization. In other words, it'll expand on everything fans loved about the first Dragon Age.

Unfortunately, Darah didn't elaborate, saying that additional details would have to wait until the time is right. For whatever it's worth, in a Wired interview last December, BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka said the third Dragon Age title would have more of an open world feel, not unlike The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which Muzyka said BioWare had been "checking out aggressively." "We're big admirers of [Bethesda] and the product," he said.

dragon age iii inquisition daii

Other employees have also provided a few nuggets over the last year. At PAX 2011, Dragon Age II lead designer Mike Laidlaw said Dragon Age III would once again be set in the world of Ferelden and would focus on a war between the mages and templars, continuing the main plot of last year's sequel. Players will be able to import data from the previous games and will presumably be responsible for saving the world from civil war.

Hawke, Dragon Age II's protagonist is expected to appear in the new title, but to what extent is unclear. Dragon Age III: Inquisition is due at the end of 2013, though a specific date isn't set. BioWare also hasn't confirmed what platforms the title will appear on. PC is a given, but some believe the developer's unwillingness to mention the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 indicates that Inquisition will be a launch title for next-generation consoles.

Permalink to story.

Wow...already in development for two years and won't be released for at least another year? I'll bet they had to do quite a bit of starting from scratch when DAII came out to brutal user reviews.

I'd love to see a real sequel to DA:Origins
Bring back the top-down view and the extremely hard combat.
I like having to pause and think of tactical combat decisions, when I wanna mash buttons I play a different game.

DA2 was....just a button masher.

Dragon Age lost my trust with Part 2. I may or may not pick up Dragon Age 3, but that franchise is on wait and see status. If community enthusiasm is shown and reviews are excellent (both "professional" and community reviews) I will consider buying it... when it goes down in price.

Dragon Age II was made to fit consoles in every way, shape and form, (even gameplay) so they could bank some dollars. I still play Dragon Age: Origins.

If it doesn't come out on Steam like DA2, I'm not buying. Steam has a feature I need that Origin doesn't: "Backup and Restore games". My Internet connection is pretty slow because I live in the country so I can't re-download a game every time I want to play it. I'd leave everything installed but my SSDs are only 128GB. I have a 4TB HDD array for storage and it's so nice to be able to import/export off the hard drives into the SSD.

I wish they make Origins Hero Warden and Hawke a playable character at the same time... that would be epic!!!

If it doesn't come out on Steam like DA2, I'm not buying. Steam has a feature I need that Origin doesn't: "Backup and Restore games". My Internet connection is pretty slow because I live in the country so I can't re-download a game every time I want to play it. I'd leave everything installed but my SSDs are only 128GB. I have a 4TB HDD array for storage and it's so nice to be able to import/export off the hard drives into the SSD.

Origin does have a backup system, or at least a kind of backup system, if you go into preferences, you'll find a setting to "save your downloaded games". if you tick this and choose an area to save to, everytime you download a game it keeps the installer in this area, so when you need to re-install or completely wipe the program, you can simply double click on the .exe in this folder to kick off the install.

Origin does have a backup system, or at least a kind of backup system, if you go into preferences, you'll find a setting to "save your downloaded games". if you tick this and choose an area to save to, everytime you download a game it keeps the installer in this area, so when you need to re-install or completely wipe the program, you can simply double click on the .exe in this folder to kick off the install.

OMG! Thank you!

They shoulda named this series "Blood Age" considering the absurd fountains of it during combat. DA I was impossibly difficult, hopelessly buggy and a letdown in almost every way. It ushered in the age of the single player cash shop experience. DA II? Well, what's left be said about that made-for-consoles abortion? Sorry, Bioware, but you've lost all respectability. You used that same line about studying Bethesda stuff before DA II came out! Its pretty bad when you're recycling your own BS.

OMG! Thank you!

you don't even need to use that.

just copy the Origin-Origin Games folder

I think I may be the only person who had fun playing DA2 :p. I got incredibly board playing DA:O. But with 2 I was also sick for 4 days and had just borrowed the game from a friend, so maybe because I didn't have any $$$ invest in it I had more fun playing it.

Back