Dreamhack: The world's biggest LAN party is a sci-fi party from the future

By Jos
Dec 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Dreamhack Winter, an annual LAN party held in Sweden, is easily the biggest of its kind in the world. People come from all over Europe (and sometimes further afield) to spend a few days hanging out, seeing bands and watching...

Read more
  2. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 357   +30

Makes me miss Quakecon... I can't afford to go anymore. Such a shame no one is putting LAN capability in their games anymore. Although I suppose you might be able to host your own internet based servers in this network so it would essentially be like a LAN game.
    H3llion likes this.
  3. insect

insect TechSpot Booster Posts: 146   +32

That's insane and I love it! Nothing like beating an opponent then smack talking to their face :D
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,487   +73

They need too start LAN Party Circles here. Like we have Drum Circles since I play the drums. Someone should start this up. They use to have LAN Party charging by the hour $5.00 ouch..
  5. Insane, way better than any other events. Would love to go one day.
  6. that's cruel, but yeah.;)
    I used to berate opponents whom I beat in starcraft in bnet games and I in turn gets smacked by others.
    it would be epic if you could do that in person and be done in return. tit-for-a-tat in a real LAN party.
  7. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 271   +29

Too bad they cant play blizzard games (sc2, d3)...
    this event looks fun
  8. I don't understand what's so fun of dragging all that junk around, connecting it, playing, disconnecting and dragging it all the way home. I'd rather spend that money on a few sunny days at a beach.
  9. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 617   +111

Hells yeah! LAN party at the beach. Now your talkin!
    Burty117, Hankhendrix and Matthew like this.
  10. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 191   +24

I wonder how they are connecting all that up without blowing a fuse.
  11. I defiantly want to attend Dreamhack next year! It looks so sick. Speaking of LAN parties - Have you guys heard of Plan the Lan? It's a site that is getting released this month to help people organize and plan LANs.

I'm looking forward to it myself! The LANing community needs a jump start; so LAning doesn't become a thing of the past...
  12. Funny thing- all the ( great ) multiplayer games that my friends and I play through Steam when we meet up, and the ones with which we always end up playing the longest ( and having the biggest blast with ) are older LAN titles ( Quake, UT, HL, SC, TA, etc. )

L O N G L I V E L A N !!!
  13. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 874   +80

So wanna go but I have no PC friends :( All my friends are either on consoles or aren't really gamers ...

14. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 357   +30

Why not do both? Seriously though the dragging your computer crap around sucks, but its worth it if the LAN party lasts a couple of days or more. It's really about hanging out with your friends and enjoying something as a group. The competitive nature or team work part of it is hugely fun as well. It is much easier to communicate with everyone in the same room than it is to communicate over VoIP services. LAN parties are just plain fun... if setup correctly. Making a good LAN party is an art really, there are a lot of factors that go into it.
  15. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,905   +115 Staff Member

16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,264   +215

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.