Fallout TV show secures second season after stellar debut

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It goes without saying that Amazon's Fallout TV show has been a critical and commercial success, with most fans of the franchise and even those who'd never heard of it enjoying the post-apocalyptic story. As such, it should come as no surprise to learn that Fallout has been renewed for a second season on Prime Video.

There were concerns that Fallout might be closer to Netflix's Resident Evil than HBO's The Last of Us when it comes to television adaptions of video games. Thankfully, the naysayers were proved wrong; the show has a 94% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, an 89% audience score, and, according to Amazon, is one of its three most-watched Prime titles of all time.

Fallout only premiered just over a week ago, yet Prime Video has already announced that we'll be returning to the Wasteland in the future. "We'd like to thank Jonah and Lisa and our friends at Bethesda for bringing the show to us, as well as Geneva and Graham for coming aboard as showrunners," Amazon MGM Studios head Jennifer Salke said in a statement "We are thrilled to announce season two after only one week out and take viewers even farther into the surreal world of Fallout."

Fallout looked set for a second season even before it debuted on Prime. Days before its April 10 launch, it was reported that the show would benefit from a $25 million tax credit for moving production to California from New York and Utah.

It's been a good week for Amazon. In addition to celebrating the success of Fallout, it was revealed that Prime US customer numbers were up 8% to an all-time high of 180 million. It seems the introduction of pay-to-remove ads to the service hasn't led to the widespread subscription cancelations some predicted.

In related news, the Fallout show has led to a sudden increase in player numbers for all the franchise's games, even the old pre-Bethesda titles. Fallout 76, meanwhile, hit a record-high player count. We saw the same thing happen with The Witcher when season one of the show landed on Netflix.

Fallout's TV series has led to people coming up with what they think would be the main cast's SPECIAL stats. Bethesda announced some characters were coming to its Fallout Shelter vault management sim, so here are a few official figures:

Lucy

• Strength: 4
  • Perception: 7
  • Endurance: 6
  • Charisma: 5
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Agility: 5
  • Luck: 7

The Ghoul

• Strength: 5
  • Perception: 6
  • Endurance: 7
  • Charisma: 7
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Agility: 7
  • Luck: 4

Maximus

• Strength: 7
  • Perception: 6
  • Endurance: 6
  • Charisma: 5
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Agility: 7
  • Luck: 5

Ma June

• Strength: 5
  • Perception: 7
  • Endurance: 5
  • Charisma: 7
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Agility: 4
  • Luck: 6

Snake Oil Salesman

• Strength: 4
  • Perception: 5
  • Endurance: 5
  • Charisma: 8
  • Intelligence: 8
  • Agility: 4
  • Luck: 6

Permalink to story:

More apocalyptic nonsense without any logical pretext is coming your way.

The difference between reality and fiction is that fiction is to make sense. When fiction doesn't make any sense, it is not good, it's just nonsense. Unfortunately, so many bread-dead there preying on cheap nonsense these days, it is sad.

Just watched my first episode, so far the story line is pretty good..
vault environment feels and looks the same as in the game..
it's just that, I didn't expect a pipboy to be that big on someone's wrist..
kinda funny to me..

It's better than I hoped and has plenty of room to grow.

I felt Maximus as a character and Moten as an actor a tad weak. That might be because the other two leads have more experience and that came through in the performances. So I can't beat down on him to much.

I didn't expect much from this series so I was completely blown away by the quality and incredible attention to detail. I've seen a lot of stuff with Goggins in it, but his ghoul is just perfection. I really can't think of a single complaint as a lifelong fan of the games. I do have my complaints about Bethesda as a company.

Everyone involved did a fantastic job.

I didn't expect much from this series so I was completely blown away by the quality and incredible attention to detail. I've seen a lot of stuff with Goggins in it, but his ghoul is just perfection. I really can't think of a single complaint as a lifelong fan of the games. I do have my complaints about Bethesda as a company.

This was my opinion exactly. Fallout 4 and 76 were so bad I out off watching until all my friends talked about how great it was. I finally watched it and it created an atmospheric experience that went with the fallout games very well. And somehow they just used every fallout song we love perfectly in every scene.

Betting 100 bucks that second season will bring everything most people "love" so much about modern shows.
From an honest interview spoken by someone who worked on The Last of US show: we have to attract people with what they like, action, exciting scenes, to show them things they "need" to see. He as talking about a complete episode of gay love which was nothing featured in the first game. Furthermore, it did not even fit the genre of the show; apocalypse survival giving viewer a full episode of gay romance.
"You need to know what we believe, you need to know how you should think and what to accept, you need to..."
I am almost certain, second season will fall with modern politics like a hammer on viewers heads.
Remember what happened to The Witcher? They shot first season which was somewhat following the books/games. They they made cavil a 4th or even 5th character in his own show, he was not needed for entire episodes in later seasons.
And surely, the show had a tremendous drop in quality and now getting to cancelation.
They are playing a dirty game, take this thing you want, but then watch the thing you do not want to.
And I do not want "that thing." What are they thinking, if I watch it a couple of times I will like it, or change my opinions? They are probably sitting together and thinking hard how to check as many boxes as they can.
Rumors go RoP was delayed because they did a huge number of reshoots. Well, why would that be?
Second season syndrome, and the scheme I described above!

Indeed. Goggins is one excellent actor. I first saw him in one really good series: Justified,

Four episodes in, the show is genuinely engaging, builds a solid mystery around the various plot threads.

Show is "woke" as heck with a female lead and black protagonist, but luckily Fallout fans aren't a bunch of pussies and can handle some diversity and challenging concepts.

Four episodes in, the show is genuinely engaging, builds a solid mystery around the various plot threads.

Show is "woke" as heck with a female lead and black protagonist, but luckily Fallout fans aren't a bunch of pussies and can handle some diversity and challenging concepts.
The vast majority of franchise/show/movie fans have never had an issue with diversity and challenging concepts, the issue lately is they don't do what you said in the first line, they put diversity ahead of good storytelling. If you can't even tell a compelling story, show real character development, and get people engaged and invested, then just being "woke" is a recipe for critical and fan backlash.

Its been a long time since I played Fallout, but I think the show pretty much captures the gist of the game. My only feedback is around how the show basically made the most powerful armor in the game looks so useless. Ironically the squire is better equipped than the Knight.

Woke? Seriously? Just because one is black and the other is a woman?

Countless games allow you to customize your player to be any sex and any color for years now. For many years and way before countless clueless people heard the term "woke" - which 99% of them now think it means something conservatives hate, but nothing else.

God forbid the main character is a woman / black, that's so wrong.....even though it is an option in many games those same anti-woke people play!

Woke? Seriously? Just because one is black and the other is a woman?

Countless games allow you to customize your player to be any sex and any color for years now. For many years and way before countless clueless people heard the term "woke" - which 99% of them now think it means something conservatives hate, but nothing else.

God forbid the main character is a woman / black, that's so wrong.....even though it is an option in many games those same anti-woke people play!

- I made the comment in jest, good sir!

I mean, Fallout 2 might have been the first game ever to have gay marriage in it, whole damn series is "woke" at its core!

Back