Drive Image 2002, Error 11117 Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealBlackStuff

About 95% into the image, the program stops with Error 11117.
No further explanation. This happened 2 times, then i stopped.

The source partition has been fully checked and defragged, as has the destination partition.

Can't find this error anywhere, not in the help, not on Symantec, nor in any forums.

Anyone have a clue?

Isn't Drive Image from Powerquest ( I noticed you talked about Symantec ).

Any info on their side ?

Isn't Drive Image from Powerquest ( I noticed you talked about Symantec ).
Symantec recently bought out Powerquest I believe. I know they bought at least a few of their product lines.

Did you (or can you) do a scandisk or chkdsk or something before trying to image again??

Is this when you are making an image??

The source partition has first been checked by CHKDSK (thorough option) then defragged by DISKEEPER. I always do that before I make an image.
I run W2K/SP4 from partition 1 on HD 0. The image source is partition 4 on HD 0, the target is partition 1 on HD 1.

Symantec bought Powerquest's Drive Image, also taking over its "support ?". To get any support, Symantec now requires you to let them install some utility, which I flat out refuse, no Symantec s..t on my PC!
Hence my question to this forum.

Anybody come across this Error 11117 ?

Hey Real , we talked about Drive Image ,back a while .To refresh your memory I told you I have the Version 7 which is written for Win2k\Xp..I have the old manual(Pre Symantec I know your aversion to software glut) that I am going thru now to see if it mentions the error you have,give me a little time .
In the meantime consider loading the '7'
I'll be back.

O.K.
I have an Error.pdf file on the D.I. 2002 disk under Manuals.It does not list 11117 specifically. It lists the error numbers in ranges( 1001-1500, e.g.) Each range has a particular theme.
Your error should have something to do with a changes in' boot records' and' file allocations' You mentioned Diskeeper and Partitionmagic, these keep low level services running all the time that can affect these things.I know you can shut off Diskeeper in' processes tab' of Task manager. I do not know Partitionmagic ! Then try running D.I. again. I can send you this file ( 127 kb, .PDF) if you want to have a look.

Thanks Len,
I have that PDF-file. The error-numbers in there however don't go beyond 2099, and mine is 11119, way higher.
I am not sure if this error comes from the Source or from the Destination partition.
I will keep on trying a few times more, otherwise HDD-Regenerator to the rescue.

CHKDSK did not find any errors at all on the source-drive.
Then I put HDD-Regenerator on. It found AND recovered 21 bad sectors on that partition. After that, Drive Image did its stuff OK.

Still don't know what the error was though.
Thanks everybody for the assistance.

SOLUTION: Error 11117 PowerQuest

About 95% into the image, the program stops with Error 11117......

PROBLEM: the drive might be formatted with a single partition and you are trying to overlay an image with multiple partitions.

BACKGROUND: pentium III aaeon, 40GB maxtor IDE hard drive, 256mb ram. Image made with symantec powerquest imagecenter32 under a bartpe disk. Image successfully restored and known to be good. Drive contains windows 2000 sp4 and ntfs on all partitions.

SOLUTION:

Normally, I run powerquest (Imagecenter32) the 32bit version of pqideploy and get the error then I reboot and rerun it and it works with no problems.

wipe the hard drive's file allocation table aka master boot record or boot into dos from a floppy disk / cd / dvd and from a: type format c: /mbr. Or use some type of utility with the hard drive in a usb enclosure to wipe out the partition table. I have good luck with gdisk utility from symantec - runs in dos and and you can type the following gdisk.exe 1 /wipe /mbr.

I recommend Acronis software over drive image or ghost for that matter. You can download a 30 day trial or just buy it. It is really inexpensive and works really well.

Acronis vs Ghost vs PQI

I first used acronis for windows and used the cd to boot into linux and image a linux distro to and image file and hard drive to hard drive. I liked it. Powerquest drive image is definitely basically history. It can't image 500GB drives.

Ghost is the most mature and I have been using it since 2.x. It is hard to bead the amount of knowedge that is out there.

Acronis offers the hope of linux and lower imaging costs vs ghost where ever time a machine is imaged a fee is due?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back