Drive partition

maddy smith

My laptop:HP Pavilion g-series, W7, 500HDD, 4GB RAM, i5.

Problem: the drives are like this>222gb, 108gb and 102gb.
My os is in the 222gb drive and I'm not comfortable using the drive with the os in it.a lot of space is wasted here.
I have tried to shrink it but it shows that only some 450mb can be shrinked.

how do it get back this lost space?

Provided you have some free space on that partition you should be able to shrink it. What software are you using? Perhaps you should give gParted a try. Boot off a gParted CD or USB and shrink it outside the OS. If you have some time, it probably wouldn't hurt to defragment the partition you are shrinking first.

I have lots of free space in that drive.I'm not using any software.I try to shrink it directly from the disk management in the system.
thankyou.

I have defragmented it many times.

Its a bit concerning that it won't shrink in disk management, which is why I suggested gParted. Did you try that?

You only have a little over 400 GB of space on that drive. Is it possible to buy or borrow a external drive, remove your data and reformat, then put your data back? If you know the brand of the drive they usually have a utility that lets you transfer the OS without a clean install (so if you upgrade or need to replace the HD you can do so). Even a friend with a desktop PC should easily be able to "loan" you that amount of space. An external 500 GB drive would also be useful as a backup for your laptop once you finish this task. If you have the OS disks and the knowledge, backing up your data and a clean install usually make for a nicely running system as well.

Back