Driver for PCI Simple Communication Controller [Request]

justgeorge

I don't know what this driver even goes to, it's listed as "other devices" in the Device manager. There is a warning sign next to it.

I'm running Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire Desktop E700 series. My external HD is a 1TB WD My Book Essentials ver 2.0 I don't have that connected right now. I want to find the problem so I can run a first backup image.

Did you happen to upgrade your OS from Vista or XP? Acer site doesn't show any drivers for the E700 for Windows 7 ... only XP and Vista.

Hi thanks for the quick reply

I upgraded from Vista Home Premium w/ SP2. I had to use the upgrade to do a clean install because I had to put it on a new hard drive. The one I had Vista on is in a box, it's pretty much shot. The registry was so screwed up even the Tech's at Microsoft threw their hands up in submission.
What exactly does that driver do? I have all of my Vista drivers backed up on a CD if that helps any??

Driver for PCI Simple Communication Controller
fyi...

The device names one normally sees in Device Manager, are taken from the device driver file.

When Windows can't find a driver in the first place
> It's listed under Other devices (as is your case) cause Windows doesn't even know what category to put it under
> It uses the device's generic name (that's the only name Windows has till it finds a driver for it)

I've usually found that name is a fax device

Try DriverEasy tool. I'd only see what it might find for that specific device. For now, ignore other driver updates it might tell you about

I noticed some drivers for a TV tuner for your E700 on the Acer site ... you may need to download and install those. Windows doesn't usually play well with specialized media cards.

To Lookin
Thanks I'm downloading it now, will let you know if that's the problem. I did just install an all-in one w/ a fax on it.

Mizzou
I saw something in the error messages about a TV tuner. Didn't know what the heck it was. I don't have my PC connected to the TV????
I'll check it out. What's one more driver, if I don't need it I can always get rid of it. Thanks for finding that. I can never find anything on the Acer website.
George

I ran the DriveEasy Tool. All of the drivers it pulled up I already have newer versions of that I downloaded directly from Intel and Nvidia. It didn't list the "fax part" of the all-in-one.
I also checked the stuff on the Acer site, most of the stuff they had listed I got directly from Intel. As to the TV Tuner, I'm going to check with Nvidia and see if they have one I missed.

I thought that if I could get the DriveCleanup thing working I could get rid of a rouge driver.

I ran the DriveEasy Tool. All of the drivers it pulled up I already have newer versions of that I downloaded directly from Intel and Nvidia. It didn't list the "fax part" of the all-in-one.
I also checked the stuff on the Acer site, most of the stuff they had listed I got directly from Intel. As to the TV Tuner, I'm going to check with Nvidia and see if they have one I missed.
Open Device Mgr, rt click the device, select Properties, then Details tab

You should then be able to select then copy/paste the Device ID into your next post (it's a cryptic looking string)

I thought that if I could get the DriveCleanup thing working I could get rid of a rouge driver.
i'll answer this in your other thread on the topic

Back