TechSpot

Driver needed: Unknown ethernet controller Windows XP

By amym1586
Oct 3, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had to reinstall XP. After reinstalling the ethernet controller driver is missing and i dont know the ethernet card manufacturers name or the name of the card so i cant find any drivers for it.

I don't really know anything about PCI cards or motherboards.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

Tell us the following please:
    1: Is it a separate card or built into the motherboard
    2: If a card, look at the chip (small square back think) and tell us the name on the chip and the numbers with it - could be Realtek 8029 for example. You may need to take it out of the case to see the detail.
    3: If a motherboard, tell us who made it and the model number. You can find this by looking at it - you may need a torch.
  3. amym1586

amym1586 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Sorry for being a pain.. but you may need to talk to me in the lamest terms possible.

I have a dell laptop if that helps any. I have no idea about cards and motherboards.. :(
  4. Po`Girl

Po`Girl Newcomer, in training Posts: 668

Go HERE enter your model in the relevant fields,and look for Integrated Network controller,or similar.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.