TechSpot

Driver Problems

By Faint
Apr 21, 2006
  1. Hi,

I'm new to these forums so i'm not quite sure where to post or what to include in this post :\

Anyway, System Specs :

AMD Sempron 2800+, 2.01 Ghz
    1.00 GB Ram
    Radeon 9600Pro (256mb)
    Windows XP Proffesional

Recently my Pc has been crashing, alot. I keep getting a BSOD with a variety of error messages. Sometimes I will get one called BAD_POOL_HEADER or BAD_POOL_CALLER. I also get one called 'ati2dvag.dll', with this error I get the stop codes 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF9E04CD, OxA77F5458, 0x00000000). When my Pc restarts I get the pop up saying 'Your Pc Has Recovered From a Serious Error', in the technical information I get this:
    BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF9E04CD BCP3 : A77F5458
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I have no idea what any of this means but what I have done so far is:
    1. Unistall and then reinstall the latest Ati drivers.
    2. Perform Ad-Aware and Anti-Virus scans.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

3. Faint

Faint TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, i'll look into it.

I am still yet to experience a crash after uninstalling and re-installing Ati drivers. Just hope its fixed.

4. Faint

Still crashing. It hadn't crashed for a few hours but then as soon as I tried to start playing a game I got a plain BSOD. Following restart I got another BSOD with the 'ati2dvag.dll' error. I'm thinking of reloading Windows XP.

5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

2 things come to mind: overheating issues or bad/failing PSU. Check temps in BIOS at least (PC health) or dwnload a prog like Everest Home edition, it's in the motherboard section. Everest will alos give you the voltages of your PSU.
    What total watts and amps on each of the 3.3, 5 and 12V outputs do have have? You can find this on label of the PSU. Take the side off the case to see it. Whille it's off put a table fan blowing on everything in there to see if temps are a prob.

6. Faint

I'm starting to believe its overheating as it seems to crash after I have been on the Pc for a while. The Power Supply also seems very hot when it crashes, I think might be faulty so i'm going to buy a new one. I've been looking and I would like some suggestions on what Power Supply to get. I don't want to spend that much but I want something that will keep my Pc cool and stable and will support gaming.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

ati is known to have flakey video drivers. When you find one that works, don't upgrade or change it.

8. Faint

When I get enough cash i'm going to buy an Nvidia I think.

9. loobielou23

loobielou23 TS Rookie

can u help

hi there wondering if someone can help me my pc keeps shutting down all the time after about 10 mins when i reboot it says its recovered form a serious error when u send report and get more info it says its to do with recently installed devices all i have installed is my web cam and bb modem drivers any suggestions on how to stop this because its becoming a real pain i have reformatted pc and everything but still the same

10. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.