DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pernicio

I have occasional BSOD:s, about once per two to three days. I tried to open these minidumps, but it wont show them, as it claims the Symbol files are wrong, even though I specifically downloaded the ones for Windows 7 Beta that I'm using.

So I would appreciate if someone could take a look at these and possibly help determine the cause of it. Also I would appreciate if I could get those dump files back in a txt format.

I know that Windows 7 is Beta, and as such is not as stable and contains various bugs, but this has happened with newly installed Windows XP SP3 Professional also with latest updates. So I doubt that the question is OS related. I would like a confirmation from my dump files though, where the problem resides.

Update: 01.02.2009

After removing the TCPZ driver, the computer has been running for over 2 days now without BSOD. I also found out, that the mentioned bug that appeared on Firefox when running it continuously for long times on windows 7 might be somehow related to the error leading to the BSOD, as it seem to occur more permanently for a somewhat short time before the BSOD shows up. I'm not saying that it is the reason, as it definitely seem to be driver error, but I just wonder what driver could affect Firefox such way.

Update: 03.02.2009

I had another BSOD, and I'm not sure yet if it is or is not the TCPIP.sys file. Added the latest dump file. It also seems that the file dxgmms1.sys has something to do with the theme system and/or the explorer of windows 7, as when I tried to kill it with the KillBox, the background changed from picture to totally black and explorer crashed and restarted.

Update: 04.02.2009

Another BSOD, added the dump file.

Update: 06.02.2009

BSOD again, with the original TCPIP.sys in place. Added minidump.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    191.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 5-Minidumps.zip
    188.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 020309-21621-01.zip
    91 KB · Views: 5
  • 020409-22479-01.zip
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 020609-23181-01.zip
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
I tried to extract your minidump files but there was an error with them as my Zip extractor could not open

Try this: All we need are the files and not the whole folder. Take your 5 latest minidump files and Zip them together.

By the way, other than the BSODs how do you like 7?

Updated links

I updated links to those dump files, and only included 5 to the latter. If the other doesn't work, the other should and if you still got problem with the package, rename the 5-minidumps.zip to .exe format. Packed it as exe, so that it might work better than the zip software you have, if it has some problems extracting.

I have liked Windows 7 really much, actually. And as a Beta OS it is suprisingly stable. Lot of it might be from the fact, that Windows 7 is much like a heavily tweaked Vista Ultimate. I like the outfit of it and the taskbar is somewhat better for my liking. Somewhat similar to what you can have in linux, I have heard. It also is faster than Vista, booting happens even after BSOD:s in about 12-20 seconds usually, as with windows XP it might have taken even one minute after several crashes. Atleast that was the case with my installations, no matter that I had tweaked it for better performance and stability.

It is also quite much faster in moving files. It also uses better multicore processors and thus enables smoother running, even when you have lots of programs open. Although, to get it more stable you have to disable few things, that I can't recall by name now ^^ Without those work-arounds installers might start to crash and OS would become more easily unstable under heavy loads. I have also seen some problems with Firefox in Windows 7, that might be because of some bugs in Windows manager of W7. Although it takes a nearly full day on my comp for firefox to start bugging like that. It only takes a restart of the Firefox to fix the problem, so it's not that persistent bug.

Went quite silent just now :D

Wonder when someone could help out a bit :D

And, I'm not 100% sure about these error numbers, but if I remember them correctly, they go something like this;

0x00000000 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x00000008D

Again, someone should check the minidumps to confirm. Hope someone does soon.

I read the five minidumps and all are error 0xD1 which is caused by either faulty drivers or buggy software. All five cited core Windows drivers and since this is a beta OS it doesn't suprise me.

One driver cited is ntkrpamp.exe.

Three times the driver tcpip.sys is specifically cited and this is essential for networking and the internet.

The last driver is dxgmms1.sys. There is virtually nothing on the internet concerning this whih leads me to believe -- and I could be wrong -- that this is specificallya Windows 7 driver.

However, in googling for this driver I came upon this interesting link: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/12009443/m/968001256931

Hmm

Well thats interesting.. But not totally shocked, as this is a beta release after all. I was almost certain it was due to the faulty Ram module, as my win XP Pro acted th same way. Unluckily I didn't have any idea how to or where from to open these minidumps. The reason for suspecting Ram is that I had bought twin2x2gb memory modules and totalled my memory to a little over 3gb. I'll run memtest just to be sure.

And mentioning tcpip.sys is interesting also, as I have installed a TCP-Z driver that allows more half-open connections than default settings. The version installed is for Windows 7 Beta, but as usually, Betas have lots of unsolved problems. I'll check if there is never version of that driver yet and see if updating works for that problem. The program essentially patches the TCPIP.sys in memory, rather than the file it self on hard drive.

But thank you for confirming otherwise ^^ at least now it is fixable by some means without spending money at all. I'll continue to research the issue. And BTW, could I get the copies of the contents of those minidumps in TXT format?

Update:

Removed the tcp-z driver and substituted it with the 01.22.2009 tcpip.sys patch. Now just waiting if this yields better (or worse) results.

Updated

I have updated the minidumps on th first post with explanations of what I have learned so far. I still need help to in analyzing those files, as it seems that I can't open them with the specified software used for it, claiming that the symbol set is wrong, even though it is the one meant for th the windows 7 beta.

Heh, that settles it. No more using tcpip patches or anything ^^ See how that works out then. If the BSOD still persists though, do you think it is possible that the integrated LAN chip or its software is somehow damaged? Driver incompatibility might be the issue too, but then I guess that my motherboard is just too old to be supported by windows 7 or vista as development of compatible drivers have been stopped, if I remember correctly, sometime late past year.

Hope it doesn't come to renewing my mobo just yet.

I think the issue is that Windows 7 is still in Beta version and current hardware and this latest and newest release are going to have some problems co-existing.

Yeah, hope it's nothing more major than that. Hopefully reverting to the original tcpip.sys helps though. Even though I managed to corrupt it once somehow and the bootupfix had some trouble fixing it at first, but got it at last from the last checkpoint. Last thing to try is complete re-install.

But I sure hope that Microsoft would address this issue for the beta version also and release a patch for it.

Yup, again BSOD with the Original TCPIP.sys. I'll put the Minidump at the first post again, to see if it was it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back