Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I,ve been having blue screens suddenly from my Windows 2003 Server Installation that has ISA Server on it. I used to have 1 GB of memory on the server when I began to receive the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen, so after a lot of testing I discover that taking away 1 memory DIMM and leaving only 512MB on the server would make the blue screen go away so I blame the DIMM for that. But recently I bought 2 GB on RAM and installed them but I started to get the blue screens again. My server is a HP ML150 G3.

I am including the minidump file to see if you can help me discover what is causing the blue screens.

Greetings.

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
So, that server uses Advanced ECC Ram - is that what you bought?

Then again, when you read this, you have to wonder:

"Q5. Why do I need four memory slots?
A5. Having four memory slots most likely enables systems to accommodate more total memory than a two or three slot solution. Additionally, having up to 3 open slots allows users to add memory incrementally, growing only as fast as is necessary. Most importantly for cost-sensitive small businesses, having four slots accommodates large memory configurations without using extremely expensive high density DIMMs. For example, loading 2GB in two slots costs $3,000-$4,000 more than loading 2GB in four slots (2x1GB DIMMs vs. 4x512MB DIMMs)."

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/sm/proliant/ml150g3-qanda.html#B5

The most common cause of that error, by far, is bad driver download, sometimes in conflict with a Microsoft update.
Have you changed any other hardware component in the past 45 days. HP users of regular desktops have been reporting various unusual failures believed to be tied to Firewalls, or to Microsoft Updates. There have been some update notices on the HP sites for some computers. Some were briefly tied to SP3 installs, for which HP issued a fix.
If you have not done so, you might want to take a look at all the available downloads HP has issued for that model of their computer.
The text document you attached makes references to that.
One would not expect to get a BSOD from an addition of memory, unless you used low grade, or third tier memory modules.

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equa

CCT, yes it uses Advanced ECC Ram

raybay: I would try downloading the updates for my server on HP and I would keep you posted. By the way I didn't install any new hardware when it started crashing. The new 2 x 1GB DIMM where bought later.

thanks

Sometimes it is a failure brought on by an existing driver, and a Microsoft Update... as Microsoft now updates a great deal of hardware drivers, changes and fixes along with their "normal" Microsoft updates and windows updates.
You can take a look at your microsoft updates downloads, by date, or you can download Belarc Advisor to see all the updates and the dates during which they were installed. We have found that many times the hardware updates the manufacturer turned over to Microsoft to use the the updates were synchronized with the time of the failure. We remove those, and sometimes the problem goes away.

Hello,

I have an update on this case, We did as you recommended, and after updating the drivers on the server the blue screen problem continues. It turned out the program called Commview (for monitoring network traffic) was messing up with de Network card drivers. After uninstalling this program the problem was no more.

thanks anyway for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back