drives don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently reinstalled windows 2000 after i had too much spyware, etc. it was working fine, but when i tried to install a driver for my digital camer connection, i shut down the computer instead of restarting. now none of my drives work.

the problem does not always occu the same way. sometimes, the CD is not recognized at all, and when i put in a CD and try to access it, the computer tells me that i need to put in a disk.

at other times, the CD is recognized. if i got to properties and then to "volumes", it has the title, etc on there. however, when i try to access the CD, it tells me that the disk is not formatted, and i need to format.

the drivers are working fine and i have no problems that windows can detect. in harware setup, it tells me that both my burner and my CD rom are working fine.

what to do!?

Have you tried Removing the CD drives, restarting, and letting windows re-auto detect them/install them? This sometimes helps with similar issues.

The intermittent recognization could also be the cause of a cable being connected improperly, or a master/slave jumper being set wrong. Please verify those.

The shutdown vs. restart very likely has no factor in this. It is possible, however, that this did cause the problem.

Does your camera work fine?

Have you tried removing the camera software, see if the drives work? If so, try reinstalling the camera software (even download an updated version to install). If the drives work after uninstalling, it's possible you just had a corrupted install.

btw- Welcome to Techspot!

hehe, thanks. this place is great. i tried reinstalling the drivers, then i tried disabling them and retrying, but it still doesnt work. i found out now that my floppy does not work either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back