TechSpot

Drones have yet another serious issue to contend with: malware

By Shawn Knight
Jan 28, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. The public narrative around drone safety has largely focused on the potential threat to aircraft. But there's another risk that nobody is really talking about - the fact that drones are essentially flying computers and thus, are prone to code-based...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 560   +172

Ok, so how exactly can you infect something that only accepts PPM signals? Unless you have found a vulnerability in basic 2.4Ghz protocols such as DSMX, you aren't going to be able to infect a drone on the fly. You would have to have the owner download the firmware and load it onto the flight controller. Considering that there are open-source options available, this would be near impossible to actually do on such a platform.

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +772

I would be more concerned with a bug that would perform a "homing pigeon" function and have the drone fly away to some nearby designated place where it could be stolen .... of course, what is the market for "hot drones" these days?

4. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Why don't cars have malware?

5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

If my drone happened to fly to the neighbors yard and get some hot footage it was obviously hacked :D

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

So if your drone is full of bugs do you call it a tsetse drone then? :D

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

There is little need in malware until they are self driven. Much like the concept Macs were once malware free.

8. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

All though what you say is true, as drones become more popular more people and companies will use them and the malware will be spread like traditional malware and viruses. It will be loaded in dodgy programs and downloads for the unassuming user or employee to run on their computer which is connected to the drone which then allows the uplink.

If drones get more widespread use by companies this will become a big issue. If only I had a £1 for every employee at my company who asked if the email from prince Derek Akuma from Nigeria asking to deposit £1 million pounds into the company bank account. XD