Dropbox aims to replace the hard drive: new APIs promise easier data storage and...

By Jos
Jul 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday Dropbox kicked off its first developer conference since launching in 2008 by announcing a new set of APIs designed to better integrate the service with every app on every device you own. Two APIs were specifically mentioned during the...

Read more
  2. I think you may have a sticky "T" key. Great read though.
  3. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 385   +96

I don't really understand the hype behind Dropbox. All they do is resell Amazon's cloud storage and slap a nice front-end on it.

If you're tech savvy enough you can just buy cloud storage yourself from Amazon and willy nilly your own basic front-end with some free FTP programs for significantly less money.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

Your first sentence answers your confusion to the hype. People don't want to mess with that, they just want to get an app and with entering a username and pass they get their files on multiple devices. Also, I don't pay anything for Dropbox. I have 5 GB of space, perhaps that isn't enough for some people, but I suspect it is more than enough for 90+% of dropbox users.
  5. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The greater Dropbox expands its reach, the easier the NSA and the 200 other

agencies will have it when it comes to handling YOUR data! How fantastic!

What a service, WHAT A SERVICE !! ^^

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.