TechSpot

Dropbox finally hits version 1.0

By Emil
Dec 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Dropbox has finally released version 1.0. The new version comes with hundreds of bug fixes, including invalid file names on Windows, weird Unicode normalizations, Word and Excel file locking, abnormal symlinks hierarchies, and case sensitive file systems on Mac. It also adds TrueCrypt support, a Rainbow Shell that offers support for extended attributes, selective sync, a new installation wizard, and reduces resource usage.

Read the whole story
  2. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

"Dropbox allows you to store up to 2 GB free of charge. Dropbox reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if a Free Account is inactive for ninety (90) days, then Dropbox may delete any or all of Your Files without providing additional notice. "

Gotta read the fine print...
  3. Dude, it's FREE!
    stop complaining
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

Even if they terminated your account, you aren't having that data wiped off your local computer(s). You just couldn't get to it through a web browser anymore.
  5. Linux download is still v 0.7.110 :-(
  6. So what does it do?
  7. It'd be nice if they could update the iPhone/iPod version, still at 1.3.1. In my case some file folders simply fail to update.
  8. At no time did this article explain what the program "dropbox" does. It's nice that it's reached 1.0 level.... but what the hell is it?
  9. Where is TrueCrypt supported? The article says it but I can't find anything in the program or any other release notes.
  10. Just stick to Ubuntu One

11. Gee, they didn't promise to maintain your FREE account for all eternity, without ever asking you for a penny. And they stated it right up front. The bastards!
  12. i really do think that this software is the best thing anyone ever crate since the internet ....
  13. Short version: it's a magic folder you install on multiple computers/smartphones/tablets; drop a file in one and it appears on all devices. Cloud based file sharing, simple as can be.
  14. Here you have what it is for...!
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4736-dropbox.html
  15. dropbox looks like a bloated pos program. a 22mb exe plus various dlls just to ul/dl/sync files on some web account? piss poor programming at it's finest. but then again in a world of people who use vista/win7, the 2 most bloated crap oses i have ever seen, it makes sense no one would care. doesn't matter how much ram or hard drive space you have to throw at something, bad is bad on premise alone.
  16. Wow, you're a barrel of laughs. It is a model of simplicity and reliability - cross platform, small and unobtrusive, it just works. And I can't live without it.
  17. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

So I probably shouldn't mention that its 36.3MB installed on OS X?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.