TechSpot

Dropbox meets BitTorrent: Space Monkey unveils hybrid cloud/local storage solution

By Leeky
Mar 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Space Monkey has announced a new hosted cloud storage service that puts the cloud in your house. The company says the new product is a hybrid of Dropbox, Pogoplug and…

Read the whole story
  2. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Its an interesting idea. Instead of building a huge server farm, you use other peoples resources and get them to pay you to do it!
    But I still worry about security. My data (even parts of it) in a random strangers hands kinda scares me. Also wonder what happens when someone unplugs their "Space Monkey". Do other people run the risk of loosing data?
  3. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Or a power outage, Tornado, or flood..
    Maybe even a massive Solar Flare, a EMP Pulse, from a terriost cell....

:)
  4. post above just triggered some alarm at Langley
  5. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

This technology is no where near new: Freenet have been doing this for years with their decentralised distributed data store…
  6. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

did they offer 1TB for 10$ per month? or are you just being an arrogant hipster? :/

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.