Dropped yp-t9 in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasha26

I really need your help. I hav the samsung yp-t9 and I accidently dropped the bottom portion of it in water. I was still able to liosten to music after I dropped it for 10 min but thru those ten min the center buttons werent working well-I would press the right button and it would think i was pressing the center button. Then I turned it off and then it froze and the screed=n said Bluetooth Mode and something like v1.26 at the bootom. i FIXED THAT PROBLEM USING sPArky's tip. But it wouldn't turn on so I rechaged it and that worked to FULLY CHARGE it so i loaded some songs on it etc. And now when I turn it on the screen goes straight to the options under music (where the first option is now playing) like it's stuck on the enter(center button) button. But then it just stays there and the only way I can turn it off is by using sparky's tip for fixing the frozen issue.PLEASE HELP-is there anyway I CAN FIX the buttons MYSELF- the memory and everything else seeems to be fine. IF I COUD JUST FIX THE BUTTONS I COULS START LISTENING TO MY PLAYER AGAIN.Also, if i sent it to be repaired under my warranty, would they be able to tell that I dropped the player in the water?
Also, the player was on when i dropped it.

Yes they can tell it was exposed to water... and the chances of you being able to fix the buttons is slim to none. Pay to have it repaired, or pay for a new one

Who would I pay to have it repaired-and how much would it cost to fix just the buttons since the usb outlet and memory seem to be working perfectly.

Your 2nd mistake (after dropping it in the water being the 1st) was that you kept using it. Many electronics can come back from being dropped in water if you can shut them down immediately (esp if they are still working when you shut them down) and let them dry thouroughly before trying to use again. Even better if you can remove the batteries.

As for fixing just segments, I have no idea how much that would cost. I'd be suprised if anyone on these boards did, individual parts on devices such as that I don't think would be replaced, they'd just replace the whole thing.

That's right SNGX1275,
turn the "watered" device off and if it has a keyboard or keypad, turn it over on the keypad and get as much water out of it immediately. Let the device dry out for a least 8 hours before turning it back on.

The water that the YP-T9 was dropped in was not clean I'm sure. The residue from this "dirty" water is probably causing the problems. If the device can be opened successfully, there might be a chance to clean the switch membranes. Of course, if you open the case, you void the warranty

I void the warranty anyway since I dropped it in the water. But just to let u know this happened 2 weeks ago. And I really don't want to pay $100 to replace the whole thing again. Isn't there any mp3 repairing companies that u guys know that could help me out. By the way, do u know if the warranty I bought would cover a second yp-t9 if I did decide to replace it. I mean, it's just a warranty for a yp-t9 even though it's not the one I bought originally.

When warranty forms are filled out, the purchase date, model and serial numbers are recorded... Did you pay extra for the present warranty? You could try to have it repaired or replaced under warranty. All they might say is no.

Any electronic repair shop might look at the player for a price. Then again... they may not want to mess with it

Tasha, I commend you! You did Google your problem, I seen your posts on the other 2 websites. I am affraid there is not much you can do now to fix it other than taking it apart and drying it out. And even that is a stretch! I did some searching around and couldn't any place to repair it either. What did you pay for this unit?

Just a side note, a buddy of mine dropped his phone in the water while fishing last year. He took it back to the Cingular store. The guys there told him that IF he had kept the phone in the water and brought it to them, they could have dryed, cleaned it and got it working. But since he didn't do that, rust started to collect on the insides. Resulting in him having to replace his phone all together.

"I did some searching around and couldn't any place to repair it either. What did you pay for this unit?"

If a person has knowlege and skill in repairing electronics, looking at a MP3 player is not a difficult task. If it can be opened to expose the keypad and it's parts, tasha26's player could probably be fixed easily. Plastic doesn't rust. Water can leave a film that acts like an insulator on keypad contacts. This "film" can be removed, if you can get to it

Didn't Tasha26 say he paid $100 for the player?

Well some computer stores won't work on stuff like that is the reason I said that. Case in point, a local computer store would not work on my iPaq last year because of the "size of the unit and its complications". At least that is what they said. And I never said plastic will rust, but then again I have never seen an mp3 player made entirely out of plastic either. :p

Even the rust in that buddy's cell phone could have been cleaned off successfully. The metal in these electronic devices corrodes rather than rusts. Keypads like the one in tasha26's MP3 player, are made from rubberized plastic with a metal contact surface. He might be able to take some WD40 and "soak" the button area of the player for a while to see if the function returns

Tmagic650 said:
Even the rust in that buddy's cell phone could have been cleaned off successfully. The metal in these electronic devices corrodes rather than rusts. Keypads like the one in tasha26's MP3 player, are made from rubberized plastic with a metal contact surface. He might be able to take some WD40 and "soak" the button area of the player for a while to see if the function returns

What kind of WD-40 should I try-I went to the website but there seem to be a few different kinds. And is it a spray or a liquid? And would that damage my yp-t9 at all? And is it at Home Depot and what's the price?

I use the spray... just spray a little on the problem switch area and hopefully it will soak in. Work the switch a few times, after waiting 5 minutes. Wipe off any excess WD40 then. WD40 will not harm the MP3 player. It may make it smell funny for a few days :)

Use INOX it is non-toxic very safe and reliable.Comes in sprays and liquid.Professional electronics repair guy recommended it to me.

I have found that (over time) the propellant in sprays can harm plastics,rubber,ex....... so I'd go the liquid and drip it only where you need it.

You can buy it in hardware stores and simular strores.

By the time any propelant in WD40 damages any plastic or rubber, the device would be long out of use. I have used WD40 as a cleaner to remove oxidation and water from metal, plastics and rubber for years and I have never had a problem with it. The propellant evaporates in a few days... Use WD40 spray. It will do the job. If water got in, WD40 will get in... hopefully.

Is this the INOX you speak of?

http://www.spirit.com.pl/?q=item&id=368

No it is not,.....Tmagic I was a fan of WD40 for many years,until I heard about Inox and Lanox.The advantages are being completely non-toxic and actually restore rubber seals and the likes.If you're in a trade that uses these type of dispersants,(as I am) or for house hold use I recommend you check it out, I'm sure you'll like.
http://www.ppc.au.com/access_inox1e.htm

Ok xRussx,
It's much like Caig's Deoxit... This is not hijacking, this is informing Tasha26 of some possible "cures" for his woes on the YP-T9... I still think WD40 will suffice and it is more redily available... and considerably cheaper.

Still this all depends on if the cleaner will reach the oxidized switch, and restore it's function

I agree it will surffice,

Avialability hmm my bad there.I thought it was made in Canada.Closer inspection I see it's Candan Industries,made right here in Australia..

No worries mate,
I looked at the link and it said INOX was only available from PPL or the Web. I was wondering why I hadn't heard of Inox before. There is a warning that Inox will damage natural rubber over repeated use. Luckily, natural rubber is not used in most phones, PDA's and MP3 players these days

one quick fix when trying to repair electronics dropped in water is to submerge them in pure alcohol. alcohol draws out water. then slowly dry it with a hair dryer set on LOW.

It must be completely dry before attempting to re-energize. This solution may or may not work all the time but has been proven to be a good try.

It works!

Thank you Tmagic650 -The WD-40 worked(mostly) on my yp-t9. I sprayed it on Saturday at around noon and checked on it around 10pm. At first when I turmned it on and pressed buttons nothing happened but adter awhile, the buttons worked but not consistently(sometimes they worked sometimes not, and this included the back and menu buttons). Also I could turn the player on the normal way but I could only turn it off by pressing a/b and menu at same time. My big problem was that the down button wouldn't work at all and the left button acted like it was stuck-when I went to listen to music, it kept on rewinding when i didn't even press it. So I put some WD40 on the button area and checked it the next day and it pretty much acted the same way except the down button worked a total of ONE time. So i applied some more spray specifically in the left and down button area and checked it like15 to 30min later and the buttons didn't even work after pressing like 50 times.Then this morning I turned it on and everything worked immediately including the side button even though i didn't spray them, except the down button. So I'm grateful for the advice but DO U KNOW IF THE DOWN BUTTON WILL EVER WORK-SHOULD I SPRAY IT MORE? And just a WARNING, the wd-40 seems to have left a couple of oil spots inside the screen. tHANKS -sorry that this was so long

That's great tasha26,
I've never used WD40 on an MP3 player. Most of that oil should evaporate in a week or so. I hope the oil spots on the display disappear eventually. You can keep working the "down" button without using any more WD40. Maybe it will start working one day... water and electronics don't mix... as you now know very well

Hmm You "PAID" for a warrenty? I think the water damage is covered. Even if you ran it over with a truck it is probably covered. What you have sounds like an "extended" or "supplimental" warrenty. This is not strictly an electronic / computer issue, but check the paperwork on the warrenty you purchased. I suspect you might be pleased as these are usually '***** proof' and cover many things that the regular warrenty would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back