DSL tweak to make it go faster????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if there's a way to tweak ur dsl modem or comp to make internet connection faster????

Somehow I doubt you want to do any "tweaking".. just make sure you realize certain things on this.

#1: You can only download as fast as the persons send speed that your receiving from. This is why p2p applications like Kazaa allow you to download from more than one person. Person A may only be able to send at 5k and person B at 25k, but combined thats 30k.

#2: Normal ADSL speeds are 256k upstream and 1500k downstream... so in theory you could download from 30 locations at 50k a second.

Man.. has anyone ever tried that? lol... Someone go and hook up 30 computers on their DSL connection and start downloading from Microsoft.com and see if they all download at 50k a second.. lol that'd be cool.. might piss of microsoft thoguh haha.. wait... yea do that..

Originally posted by acidosmosis
1500k downstream...

In order to reach a high download rate, you will probably need to use a Segmented Download Manager (Such as Flashget), to download multiple parts of the same file simultaneously, as most servers limit the bandthwidth you are allowed to use.

Also remember, 1500k is 1500KiloBits per second which is not the same as the download speeds that are reported in KiloBytes per second. So 1500k / 8 = 187.5Kb per second theoretical maximum download rate, and the average will probably be a bit lower.

Most speed drops on DSL lines come from bad cabling !

1) Keep the cables as short as possible
2) Don't roll exceeding cables, it makes interference.
3) Check your connections and the quality of telecom cables too.

Besides that, people are right, most people/ servers on the Net can't upload as fast as you can download.

BTW I have an ADSL line with 3Mbit downstream and 128Kbps upstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back