Dstcd.iso Link is dead, need help with Dell BIOS password rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. There are several threads that are available for help with reseting a Dell D620's bios password here. And I understand they have all be closed b/c all the information has already been discussed. But within those threads all the links to the dstcd.iso are dead now. Would anyone have or could point me to a working download for that file? Google came back with shady links that I rather not use so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There really isn't a valid solution. The D620 is unusually difficult to impossible for password repair, and the idea was chewed for a year. Solutions that supposedly work are perhaps illegal and certainly dangerous. They turned out to be a good source for malware and infestations without being helpful. All the solutions are as expensive as replacing the system board or the computer.

Wow, really? Do you know if calling up Dell will resolve the issue? I recall seeing some people did that in the threads.

Dell is not known for getting much help on this issue, but we have had a few clients who sent their computer in to Dell or a Dell contractor for the repair. It wasn't cheap... usually over $150 including shipping.
First, you have to affirm to Dell's satisfaction that you are the legal owner. If you bought it used, there is a form online at the www.dell.com site for registering as official owner with your current address and phone. It helps if you know who the owner was. Then 21 business days after registration, after Dell has had an opportunity to check theft reports and any previous Dell owners, they are willing to help for a price.

Dell is in the position of NOT helping with password issues, as are most companies. No responsible company can afford the liability of repairing a password, that then gave the wrong person access to valuable data or other codes.

No shop can afford to fix it free. There is a truly significant cost in time spent. In our shops, we do fix password issued when we are able to affirm ownership. But the Dell D6** Inspirons and Latitudes have been difficult to impossible.

Sometimes you will find a D620 motherboard for sale on eBay or elsewhere after the owner has cracked the screen, and you can pick those up for about $85 to $90 with shipping extra and move them to your current passworded D620 with a couple of hours of labor.

But Just this weekend, I purchased a Dell Inspiron on an eBay bid for $85 plus shipping... and it is guaranteed to work. Top IBM Thinkpad T42, T43, T60, and others are available for $100 to $300 so why bother with a password issue. Get a used one.

Do you know if your hard drive is passworded as well?

If you have clues about your own laptop password issues... what it might have been, there are services for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back