Dual 17" display laptop from gScreen is now up for pre-order

Jos

Staff

Back in 2009, a company named gScreen earned a seat in the limelight when it announced a rather unconventional notebook called the "Spacebook," packing a secondary display that could be slipped out when needed and tucked away when not. It was large, heavy and featured slightly dated specifications, but still seemed like an interesting proposition for a niche of professionals who need ample screen real estate while maintaining some portability.

We didn't hear from them in a while but after more than a year of delays gScreen finally has a dual 17-inch display Spacebook up for pre-order. Weighing ten pounds and nearly two inches thick, this behemoth offers plenty of screen estate with each of its panels boasting a 1920x1080 resolution, but unfortunately the rest of its specs are far from impressive. They include Intel's Arrandale and Clarksfield processors -- both of which are at least 18 months old by now -- Nvidia GeForce GTS 250M graphics, and no built-to order options for Blu-ray or solid-state drives.

spacebook dual-screen laptop

There are two models available: the SpaceBook 17 i5 4G is powered by an Intel Core i5-560M processor and 4GB of RAM, while the SpaceBook 17 i7 8G features a quad-core Intel Core i7-740QM processor and 8GB of RAM. Both feature a 500GB hard drive, a DVD optical drive and a range of ports including HDMI, FireWire and eSATA -- but not USB 3.0.

Pricing starts at $2395 for the former and $2795 for the Core i7 system. That's certainly a hefty premium for an extra 17-inch screen, considering you can get a much more powerful notebook today for half the price and still have some money left over for a big desktop LCD. Lenovo also tried its hand at a dual screen workstation a few years ago, but considering the ThinkPad W700ds is no longer available we imagine customer feedback just wasn't positive enough.

Permalink to story.

Devices that Apple Missed the Boat on....

I can't fathom how this company beat Apple to market with this "gem"!

Oh man, paint that monstrosity white, and Apple could sell a ton of them. Just because a "ton of them" would only be a few dozen, wouldn't be a problem. Since Apple would treble the price, they could make, "if you can afford one of these, you can afford a caddy to carry it around for you", their ad catchphrase!

Just think about the worship ramifications to an avowed Apholian! You could have Steve Jobs on one screen, announcing his latest, "I'm sure you'll find a use for this later", portable device on one screen. Then, on the other, you could run every, "I'm a PC" commercial ever made.

What it needs is docking bays for a fleet of iPhones. These would help it perform as a mothership to any Apple addict wearing a tinfoil hat.

Oh Steve, do I have to think of everything for you?

But will it play "Crysis" across both screens.....? (Said the dull eyed onlooker).
All show no go.
Indeed. I wonder how you would get any work done with something like that. Anywhere you set it up, I'm sure you would get throngs of both admirers and detractors, pestering the crap out of you.

Am I the only one who is thinking that, that colossal-giganticus machine doesnt somehow look very uh......mobile? I mean, isnt that the whole point for a laptop? It reminds of me a saying I heard awhile back. I believe this is going to go over like a ham sandwich at a Jewish Bar Mitzvah. I certainly dont want to lug around a 10 lb. laptop.

Wow, for $2,400 or for $2,800, that would make a mighty sweet desktop computer. Then just stick with a netbook or something for the mobility factor. That makes better sense to me.....

captaincranky said:
What it needs is docking bays for a fleet of iPhones. These would help it perform as a mothership to any Apple addict wearing a tinfoil hat.

lmao!

Seriously though, who the hell would buy one of those? Don't get my wrong, it has some "awesome" qualities. But wow, $2500+???!!!! No way.

captaincranky said:
Indeed. I wonder how you would get any work done with something like that. Anywhere you set it up, I'm sure you would get throngs of both admirers and detractors, pestering the crap out of you.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the table at Starbucks can handle something so big. You're bound to encroach on the space of the MBP of the guy next to you, and soon enough there are lattes flying everywhere.

techm633 said:
Am I the only one who is thinking that, that colossal-giganticus machine doesnt somehow look very uh......mobile? I mean, isnt that the whole point for a laptop?

I was about to say the same thing. I read the title and immediately thought "do these people not understand the word LAPtop?" When I buy a laptop, it's because I want something mobile that I can carry around and use on the couch or at the airport or on an airplane or while I'm waiting for my car to be serviced. Is this cool? No doubt...if you have a dock and plan on using it on your desk...

captaincranky said:
I can't fathom how this company beat Apple to market with this "gem"!

Oh man, paint that monstrosity white, and Apple could sell a ton of them. Just because a "ton of them" would only be a few dozen, wouldn't be a problem. Since Apple would treble the price, they could make, "if you can afford one of these, you can afford a caddy to carry it around for you", their ad catchphrase!

Just think about the worship ramifications to an avowed Apholian! You could have Steve Jobs on one screen, announcing his latest, "I'm sure you'll find a use for this later", portable device on one screen. Then, on the other, you could run every, "I'm a PC" commercial ever made.

Oh Steve, do I have to think of everything for you?

Hahahaha, this is gold.

captaincranky said:
But will it play "Crysis" across both screens.....? (Said the dull eyed onlooker).
All show no go.

awww... cranky, you beat me to it.

these specs aren't THAT outdated.. you all make it seem like its running a single core celeron, yes they are last years models sure but where else could you find a setup like this? still WAY more portable than a desktop and two monitors, or even a laptop and another monitor. the price premium isnt that high over the new macbooks XD

these specs aren't THAT outdated.. you all make it seem like its running a single core celeron, yes they are last years models sure but where else could you find a setup like this? still WAY more portable than a desktop and two monitors, or even a laptop and another monitor. the price premium isnt that high over the new macbooks XD
Nah man, I'm all for it. It just needs to have some bicycle wheels put on it, and then you could attach some baseball cards to them, to make it sound like it has a motor.

Back