TechSpot

Dual 17" display laptop from gScreen is now up for pre-order

By Jos
Jul 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Back in 2009, a company named gScreen earned a seat in the limelight when it announced a rather unconventional notebook called the "Spacebook," packing a secondary display that could be…

Read the whole story

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Devices that Apple Missed the Boat on....

I can't fathom how this company beat Apple to market with this "gem"!

Oh man, paint that monstrosity white, and Apple could sell a ton of them. Just because a "ton of them" would only be a few dozen, wouldn't be a problem. Since Apple would treble the price, they could make, "if you can afford one of these, you can afford a caddy to carry it around for you", their ad catchphrase!

Just think about the worship ramifications to an avowed Apholian! You could have Steve Jobs on one screen, announcing his latest, "I'm sure you'll find a use for this later", portable device on one screen. Then, on the other, you could run every, "I'm a PC" commercial ever made.

What it needs is docking bays for a fleet of iPhones. These would help it perform as a mothership to any Apple addict wearing a tinfoil hat.

Oh Steve, do I have to think of everything for you?

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

All show no go.

4. captaincranky

But will it play "Crysis" across both screens.....? (Said the dull eyed onlooker).
    Indeed. I wonder how you would get any work done with something like that. Anywhere you set it up, I'm sure you would get throngs of both admirers and detractors, pestering the crap out of you.

5. TechM633

TechM633 TS Rookie Posts: 33

Am I the only one who is thinking that, that colossal-giganticus machine doesnt somehow look very uh......mobile? I mean, isnt that the whole point for a laptop? It reminds of me a saying I heard awhile back. I believe this is going to go over like a ham sandwich at a Jewish Bar Mitzvah. I certainly dont want to lug around a 10 lb. laptop.

Wow, for $2,400 or for $2,800, that would make a mighty sweet desktop computer. Then just stick with a netbook or something for the mobility factor. That makes better sense to me.....

6. 1977TA

1977TA TS Rookie Posts: 90

lmao!

Seriously though, who the hell would buy one of those? Don't get my wrong, it has some "awesome" qualities. But wow, $2500+???!!!! No way.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Yeah, I'm not sure if the table at Starbucks can handle something so big. You're bound to encroach on the space of the MBP of the guy next to you, and soon enough there are lattes flying everywhere.

8. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

I was about to say the same thing. I read the title and immediately thought "do these people not understand the word LAPtop?" When I buy a laptop, it's because I want something mobile that I can carry around and use on the couch or at the airport or on an airplane or while I'm waiting for my car to be serviced. Is this cool? No doubt...if you have a dock and plan on using it on your desk...

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Hahahaha, this is gold.

10. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,105   +44

awww... cranky, you beat me to it.

11. Riiiight... And they put 16:9 displays instead of 16:10. No-go.

12. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Half the price and half the weight and you have a winner, maybe. Who is this laptop aimed at, seriously who?

13. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

If only it had a briefcase handle and some rubber bumpers.

14. these specs aren't THAT outdated.. you all make it seem like its running a single core celeron, yes they are last years models sure but where else could you find a setup like this? still WAY more portable than a desktop and two monitors, or even a laptop and another monitor. the price premium isnt that high over the new macbooks XD

15. captaincranky

Nah man, I'm all for it. It just needs to have some bicycle wheels put on it, and then you could attach some baseball cards to them, to make it sound like it has a motor.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.