Dual boot 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob2006ty

Hi I have a new desktop computer, I downloaded and installed windows 7 on it (64 bit), i followed the techspot guide to dual boot windows 7, only I installed xp 64 bit on the new partition instead of 7, but on startup i don't get a dual boot option it boots straight into xp, how do i make it offer me a choice? ps in the system-advanced tab it only shows windows xp 64 as a boot choice, 7 isn't mentioned, the .ini file only lists xp 64 bit, not 7 but when i use diskmgmt.msc my other partition (same hdd) with win 7 on it is there and explorable, it is the same as the xp partition in appearance except the xp one has boot written on it.

No one can tell me how to make 7 appear and dual boot?

I would be prepared to delete the xp partition if I can get back to the 7 one, explain that if you can, no-one??

Boot from the 7 disk and repair.

You should have had XP64 installed first, and then install 7. Its always preferable to install the older OS first because then you don't have an old bootloader write over a newer one. Vista and 7 use a different boot method than XP and below, your XP wiped out the 7 loader.

You don't need to wipe the XP one, you simply need to boot from your 7 disk and repair it.

I've not actually done this myself (because I've never put myself in that situation). I did google to make sure I was right, and it might be slightly more involved than simply choosing repair (but I didn't think it was). Here is some more info http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/cant-boot-win-7-after-installing-win-xp-sp2/188.html I'm not sure if any of those guys have actually done it themselves, or are like me and just saying what they understand to work.

ok didn't work

ok I did this and booted from disc, (chose in bios menu) I just get the windows 7 startup sequence then the log in screen back ground with nothing on it, a little wait circle appears dissapears, then i leave for 20 mins, come back, nothing just a background, no options or anything, is there no other way to get 7 back? If not please detail how to completely wipe everything so I can start again, bearing in mind (if it needs to be) that i have registered my copy of 7, then I can install vista 64 bit, and 7 as dual boot.

Thanks for your time, it is greatly appreciated, bob.

ps
According to this page http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html I need to be able to log into the windows 7 admin account to perform a repair install, which i can't currently do.

I have no idea what the problem is, because that isn't the way things should happen, and I haven't ever experienced that so I can't provide any insight into why that is happening.

If you are prepared to wipe everything, then just boot from the XP disk, and during setup, delete all of the partitions. Then create a partition for XP of the size you think you need, leave the rest of the disk unpartitioned.

After XP is installed, Install 7 to the remainder of the disk, or however you want it. That SHOULD get the dual boot set up without any more intervention on your part. But based on your luck so far it may not, if it doesn't, then EasyBCD will assist you in getting it done.

Help!

Ok so I deleted the windows 7 partition, went to boot a vista disc to delete the boot partition (xp) and the system reserved partition, wouldn't work when booting from disc got the same blank log in screen, so i tried starting the disc in xp, got install now and another option i clicked install now. It came up with an error message saying it can't install because c is full, this is the 100mb system partition that windows 7 reserved, I can't change it's letter or delete it, despite having deleted the 7 partition.

Vista doesn't have any options to install to anything else, how do I delete the 100mb partition left over from win 7??? It insists on installing to c and I can't install it there.

Is there some magic button that can wipe the hard drive completely???

Fixed, well sort of.

I couldn't get the xp cd or the 7 cd to delete or fix anything, so i tried putting vista in, after a few tries i managed to wipe everything and get two hdds back to original state, I then did the traditional thing and installed vista on disk 0. So now I am back to square one, but at least it works. I will retry the dual boot 7 guide, as i have installed vista first then 7 next it should work right?? Ps thank you ever so much for the time put in so far. It really helped me out.

You just have to reinstall Windows 7 and it creates the boot manager to boot an earlier version of Windows or Windows 7 (default).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back