dual boot menu 98/xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

toju

This is not to be confused with the startup menu.
I have 98 on c: and xp on d:.Both on the same hdd, separate partitions.
Due to file corruption problems I had to delete 98 on C: and replace it with a backup copy I had on another partition.
This action removed the boot menu and now I can only boot into C:--there is no 98/xp choice.
Is there a way I can replace the boot menu files without reinstallation of the os.
The boot .ini shows only one os.
Installation of a boot manager[OSL2000] is not an option as the windows boot menu is still required to enable access to xp.
Anybody assist here ?
Toju

I'm afraid there is no easy way...even though each OS resides on a seperate partition, when you install any version of Windows it writes certain files to the root directory of C:
So when you wiped C: you not only got rid of Win98 but also some of the files needed to boot to XP.

Long answer here's what i would try.
Re-install Win98 to C: Install all your drivers etc as well.
Do a repair install of XP. Directions Here
Make sure you are repairing the XP install on D:

I have not tried this method but other than having a backup of your root dir. this is probably the way to go...

p.s. If the repair install is done properly it should retain all your XP settings etc.

Good Luck and let us know.

patio. :cool:

Thanks for the quick response.
I appreciate what I have done but as I have an operating 98 on C, would it not be possible for me to obtain the necessary files from my 98 installation CD and put them back into 98 ?
As for reinstallation of XP, well I have attempted this but when I reach "press any key to boot from CD" I am taken straight into 98 which then opens as normal .[CD Rom is set as first boot device].
Toju

OK let's back up a minute so i don't get this wrong. If Win98 is booting normally then that part is fine...Put the XPCD in and re-boot. When it says to boot from CD hit enter...the XP install will then start. Make sure you choose new install and pick D: as the location.

Let me know...

patio :cool:

Well , it looks like I may be wasting your time here.
I finally managed to get xp boot from the cd but the repair choice box does not appear.
I end up with the folder install box only--which of course tells me that to continue will either remove all my data or I can install it in another folder.
I presume this is because the data is unable to be repaired.
Would the repair console help?
Using the console:-D:>fixboot gives-- "target part. C: -do I wish to write a new boot sector to C:". :-D:>fixmbr gives --"have non standard or invalid mbr-may damage part. tables if I proceed"
Would either of these options help ?
Or should I flag it all away and just reinstall xp.
Toju

See my post above...again the reason it is not working is because you wiped out the necessary files when you formatted C:

Try and copy (or expand) the files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from your XP-CD into C:\
Then try the repair.

Edit boot.ini, so that the
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

and under [operating systems] it looks like
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Well I did all that and no luck.
I still boot directly into 98--no boot menu.
Thanks for your help,I guess I will just have to reinstall.
Toju

I thank you for your assistance and one last question.
Can someone advise me on how I can access and transfer my E.mail from XP onD: to 98 0n C:
I am able to access all files on D: from C: including the Netscape folder but cannot locate my mail program or mail.
To recap ,I am able to open 98 C: but not XP onD:
Toju

I would assume that the XP partition is NTFS...98 will not read it.
If you can slave the drive to another machine you should be able to back up your e-mails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back