Dual boot on new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimh33

hi i am running vista home premium 64 bit and i would like to put windows 7 on . it is gonna be on a new hard drive since i'm getting one anyway. my question is after i have installed and formatted the new drive can i set in the bios to boot to that drive with the windows 7 dvd in the dvd drive? or something else. and when windows 7 goes to install i understand it will also by default name my new hard drive c .does this mean there will be 2 c drives or should i change the drive letter?

dual boot

something i just read off this forum and i question it i want to leave vista on my main drive and i have a new hard drive to put windows 7 on .what do i set the bios to boot from to get to the windows 7 on other drive ? sorry so many questions dual boot is new for me .or or should i make a partition on main drive and put windows there?

Ok you leave Vista as it is (master). Change BIOS to boot from CD. Install Win7 on your new drive. After installing change BIOS again to boot from your HDD with VIsta. On my PC I can choose where to boot by pressing F9 just after post if this applies to you just press F9, no need to change the BIOS.

dual boot

thanks winxpert thats what i was wondering so let me get the sequence right
change bios order to boot from dvd drive install windows to second hard drive then when all installed go back and change bios back to booting from first hard drive with vista on .then instead of seeing a welcome screen i will see a boot loader screen to choose which os to load correct? its probably been mentioned before but does windows 7 assign a drive letter to 2nd hard drive or do i delegate one?

Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP/Vista in three easy steps
https://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

Read the guide it can explain it better than I do.

About the BIOS setting I mentioned before it's about setting which boots first (the DVD) since your installing Win7 from a bootable media and restoring the first boot to your HDD afterwards.

then instead of seeing a welcome screen i will see a boot loader screen to choose which os to load correct?

Yes the installation will take care of that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back