dual boot same partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so i recently got a virus. so i decided the only thing to do was to reinstall windows and delete my previous partition (little did i know at the time that i accually just corrupted my previous version of windows) something like that. soo, now i have two windows to boot from ( windows home edition, and windows home edition) from the start menu.

the first one is the default and i can boot into windows that way, but the second is corrupted, and i dont know how to delete it(its taking up a lot of my hard drive)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

thats what i got on my boot loader. any suggestions???

I suggest reformatting the whole drive when installing Windows as just deleting the current installation can cause problems. Backup your data and reinstall a clean copy.

Probably you haven't got two copies of Windows as they both point to the same place, but many of the old files may still be there.

wii-ste said:
I suggest reformatting the whole drive when installing Windows as just deleting the current installation can cause problems. Backup your data and reinstall a clean copy.

Probably you haven't got two copies of Windows as they both point to the same place, but many of the old files may still be there.

accually you just summerized my problem entirely! thanks, will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back