TechSpot

Dual Boot - Using WINXP twice

By Michael M
Jan 10, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I could use some help before I make a mistake

I am trying to create a dual boot system with XP on both partitions.

Before anyone says why would you do that -- I need to do video editing in a totally clean space (no other apps but video) and I need to also use same PC for normal work - email presentations etc as I can't afford a dedicated video workstation.

Soo here's where I am -- The system camed with XP and a large Raid0 drive (240g)

I used Partition Magic 8.0 to create a second Primary Drive NTFS on the system.

What is my next best step --- I could have PM make it active so the next time I turn on computer it boots there and says I have no operating system and insert the XP disk?

Or I could put leave in nonactive in PM and start the process of XP install from within XP? Im worried that if I do that it will try to install over the current XP -- Will it let me chose where to install?

Also once I get passed this I am assuming that I have to reinstall all my drivers in the new Operating System is that correct?
    thanks
    Michael M
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.