Dual Boot (Windows 7 & Windows XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJTru

I wanna make a dual boot system with windows xp and windows 7. My computer has a sata 500 gig hard drive. witch operating system do you guys recomend installing first?

It makes no difference...but you will likely end up with whichever bootloader you installed last, meaning if you install XP first, you will later rewrite your bootloader with w7's. It makes little difference since they are both pretty similar, but you may as well install w7 last.

Actually, I may be wrong about the bootloader, but it still doesn't really matter which you install first.

I would recommend to install Xp first; that way you will not require any third party boot manager :)

I am assuming you are installing on new HDD; so it would be better to see what your needs are and prepare/make partitions accordingly. For example; I've 500GB sata drive in my home pc; and I have two 100 GB partitions allocated just for OSs i use; whereas remaining 300 GB are for my data.

You can create partitions during windows xp/7 setup as well or you may choose to create just one partition during xp installation and make others with xp's disk management console.

thanks for the tips guys... imma wait till i get my oem copy of xp... install that first then install 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back