TechSpot

Dual booting XP and 7 beta, cannot boot into 7

By skitzo_zac
Jan 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right I have XP (Pro, 32 bit, SP3) installed on my C: partition and I installed the 7 beta (the public beta, build 7000, 64 bit) onto my F: partition. The install process went fine no issues. But when the install completed it just boots straight into XP with no option to boot into 7.

Edit: I dunno if its important or any issue but XP and 7 are both on the same physical hard drive, just different partitions. I have another hard drive, its only an old 8GB IDE drive I found lying around (planning to install Ubuntu onto it using WUBI for a play around later, but thats not for discussion right now). End O' edit!

Basically what I need to know is what to add to the boot.ini to enable dual booting to boot into 7. I have done some googleing, but I cannot find an example of the boot.ini for dual booting XP and 7.

I am aware that vista onwards do not use the boot.ini anymore and now use BCDEDIT, the problem here is that I cannot get into 7 to use this and edit it.

Currently I my boot.ini contains the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I just added:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 7 Beta"

to the bottom of it to see if it would be that easy and work. It didn't it threw up an error when I selected the 7 option to boot to it.
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So yeah basically I just need to know what to put into the boot.ini to have two working options to boot into XP or 7.

I can provide more information if it is required, any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. alexschmutz

alexschmutz TS Rookie

same problem and i have fix

to begin running in 7 again, it is quite stupid in my view:
    1.insert 7 disc
    2.pick install language
    3.bottom left of window, click repair
    4.dvd will search for 7 installation
    5.it will automatically fix itself by reinitializing the bcd, or whatever function
    6. Xp will be once again in the older installs list and 7 will once again be able to be booted.

-you can not boot with the xp loader(boot.ini)

-i made the account for this site just because i had the same frustrating problem as you

3. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 459

Cheers for the reply alexschumtz, but In the end (before you replied btw) I just formatted and got rid of both XP and 7. I am now currently running just 7. When I look back now I think that your solution would of probably worked just fine, I don't know why I didn't think of using the repair function on the Windows installation disk myself.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.