TechSpot

Dual Booting

By Bizly
Jun 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone. I have 4 HDs in my computer, 2 of which I previously used to boot Windows XP Home, and Windows XP Pro, about a week ago I reformated the drive with Windows XP Pro on it, because I no longer wish to dual boot, unfortunately, when booting my PC, it still asks me which OS I want to boot, how can I stop this? I don't like having to sit infront of my PC while its booting and manually selecting my OS, worse part is, if I forget to choose my OS it tries to boot XP Pro, and it gives me a fatal error and tells me im missing files (DUH ?). So any tips on removing this problem once and for all?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Please follow all steps in that link

Let me know how it goes

This is the one you want:

3. runescape

runescape TS Rookie Posts: 60

its says u cant post

Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

4. kimsland

runescape you definately have an issue
    I believe you are best to PM Julio

5. runescape

huh?

6. runescape

7. kimsland

You said you have an issue posting (via PM) and then in this old thread!

I then replied you have an issue, that Julio needs to help with
    Then you replied with (actually I can't comprehend it ?)

8. surfersaiyan

surfersaiyan TS Enthusiast Posts: 124

i think in this situation you can run the recovery console from your winxp disk and then use the fixmbr command to restore your mbr to its original single boot config.

this has worked for me in the past but since i'm a relative noob myself, anyone pls feel free to tell me i'm rubbish! (just slightly doubting my own knowledge of this atm!)

9. fullmetalvegan

fullmetalvegan TS Enthusiast Posts: 162

Yeah that's what I did, boot to Windows CD during system bootup and it should detect the multiple boots and realize it's not there anymore and remove it. Or it'll be under some option in there.

I had Vista installed twice, but only once physically, and had to do that to remove it.

10. surfersaiyan

surfersaiyan TS Enthusiast Posts: 124

when you boot from the xp cd, you have to select the recovery console and then manually restore the MBR using the fixmbr command. it wont do it for you automatically.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.