Dual channel memory issues and question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been having some memory issues and I am going to run some memory checks tonight to find out where the culprit lies.

I am running 2x 500mb and 2x 1gb sticks. I believe the culprits are one of the 1gb sticks. My question is, if I find that only one of the sticks is in error, will I be able to simply remove one of the sticks and still run the other two as dual channel? I have a friend that says he's not sure if you can run a single stick of dual channel memory without it's mate (if sold in a kit). I don't know if that's true or not... so I'm coming to you guys (and gals) for help.

There is no such thing as Dual channel Ram
ie all Rams single, double or triple (whatever) will work
But your motherboard supports 2 Ram cards making Dual Channel (making them quicker)
Single Ram cards will therefore not utilize Dual Channel, but will still work

Awesome, thanks kimsland :)

EDIT: I was going to try it anyways regardless, but sometimes it's always nice to know what you are walking into.

The question is valid, many support people, including your "friend" may not know
Anyway all tech questions are welcomed :)

Edit:
There are some very specific motherboards that state at least 2 Ram cards must be installed. But they are not common. Very unlikely you will have this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back