Dual Disc Drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corwin613

Ok I have been messing around with having 2 disc drives installed in my computer but I keep having this odd problem

The drives are a Phillips DVD?/CDR drive Model #: PCRW2412 and a Lite On 22x Dual Layer DVD-ROM drive together both drives are set to cable select but when i hook them both up and boot the system only the philips drive is detected and always on master even when it is hooked up on the slave part of the cable...

Now when the Lite-on drive is connected only it shows up as the master and works perfectly fine so I am not understanding the problem...

Running XP Pro SP3

ah,i have seen your mobo, its data type, you supose to have what you want
but, as i think you only can switch the jumpers (master-slave-other) for both drives
good luck

Yeah the problem is that its not working like it should be. I've tried switching it around but for some reason the Philips drive shows up as the master or they both don't show up at all. I've never had this problem before so thats why i asked

Kinda stumped on this one heh

silly question, no offence intended, you say both drives are set for cable select? You are using actual Cable Select Cables aren't you? If not, your drives will be a bit 'iffy.

You will likely have better luck by jumpering them as master and slave, rather than cable select... that is easier and works better. If your cables are limited in length or accessibility, then buy a longer cable or get one from a used computer.

You do know that the computer does not decide... the <first> socket is device one. The <second> socket is device two. You are best off using 80 conductor, 40 connector cables, and the device you want first should be plugged into socket one on one cable. If using two cables, the second device should be on the second socket.

Yes i know the computer does not decide I hade them setup exactly how I wanted them I didn't do the master/slave thing though because its never been an issue before so i figured if they were both set to cable select they would be fine

They are both IDE devices and since the computer has an IDE HDD I am putting them both on the same cable

I do not know if it is a cable select cable it is just a normal IDE cable that I am using much like all the others I have used over the years

Just set them specifically to Master and Slave. I never suggest cable select just because if you ever have any problems you never actually know if CS is the problem or not. And it doesn't matter where on the cable each drive is, you can have the Master drive on the 2nd connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back