Dual non-SLI video cards in ASUS Maximus Motherboard won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a custom built PC based upon the ASUS MAXIMUS Formula with a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Everything works great. I wanted to add a second identical video card to support four monitors. When I add the second card in, the PC will no longer boot. The external LCD Poster just says CPU INIT. The fans, disk drives, etc. do not power up. If I take the second video card back out, it boots up fine. The power supply is a 650 watt ANTEC which the box indicates that it supports dual video cards. Any idea as to what I need to do to support two video cards not linked via SLI? TIA!

What is the second card you are trying to add? Do you have a 6-pin power connector connected to it, if it needs one?

Problem fixed

I was trying to connect a second EVGA GeForce 8800GT card. It turns out my 650 watt power supply was inadequate. I replaced it with an 850 watt and the PC boots up fine. Of course now I am fighting with the Nvidia control panel in trying to set the 4 monitors the way I want them.

Thanks for the update. It is interesting that two identical NVIDIA cards work well in tandem on a Crossfire board. I was expecting problems, but looks like everything is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back