TechSpot

Dual non-SLI video cards in ASUS Maximus Motherboard won't boot

By scififan
Mar 28, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a custom built PC based upon the ASUS MAXIMUS Formula with a EVGA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Everything works great. I wanted to add a second identical video card to support four monitors. When I add the second card in, the PC will no longer boot. The external LCD Poster just says CPU INIT. The fans, disk drives, etc. do not power up. If I take the second video card back out, it boots up fine. The power supply is a 650 watt ANTEC which the box indicates that it supports dual video cards. Any idea as to what I need to do to support two video cards not linked via SLI? TIA!
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

What is the second card you are trying to add? Do you have a 6-pin power connector connected to it, if it needs one?
  3. scififan

scififan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Problem fixed

I was trying to connect a second EVGA GeForce 8800GT card. It turns out my 650 watt power supply was inadequate. I replaced it with an 850 watt and the PC boots up fine. Of course now I am fighting with the Nvidia control panel in trying to set the 4 monitors the way I want them.
  4. scififan

scififan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Fully working

I updated the Nvidia drivers and now everything is working perfectly!
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Thanks for the update. It is interesting that two identical NVIDIA cards work well in tandem on a Crossfire board. I was expecting problems, but looks like everything is just fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.