Duel core upgrade :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wotrop

Hey yall.

Iv had my computer for about 2 years now and have been upgrading it bit by bit. Im looking at upcoming ET:quake wars i meet the requirements easy but Crysis looks a bit tough:blackeye: . Its about time i upgrade my cpu because according to Vista its the biggest bottleneck I have. But my local pc store is not selling old socket 939 4800+'s anymore. They seem to be selling 939 duel core opterons. As of this point I had no idea they made duel core opterons for 939, only single core. My motherboard originaly supported only single core but seems to be able to take multicore with a bios update. My question is will these funny duel core opterons work on my system.

SPECS>

asus a8v-e deluxe
athlon 64 3200+
1gb ddr 400 (another 1gb ordered)
BFG 7900gt oc
160gb sata

I asked asus and they said they had no idea they had duel core opterons for 939. Heres where I plan to buy from.

http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=11468

Also about 6 months ago my mobo died and asus sent a replacement. And I think thats it.:D

Any help would be greatly loved ;)

I have seen many people play with opterons, although I wouldnt recommend it. You should try the x2 series if your motherboard will support it. They still run games pretty well.

They're the same thing, cept that Opterons have unlocked multipliers. You won't see any performance difference, or at most, negligible, with Opteron/X2.

Obviously the Ops are gonna cost more... I don't recommend them unless you're going to overclock.

overclocking is not big for me now but to make my computers power be sufficent that much longer it could be an advantage on my part to go with the opt. interesting.:slurp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back