'Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour' hits consoles and PC next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

At the conclusion of a week-long countdown, Gearbox Software confirmed that the king is back. I’m of course referring to Duke Nukem, the embattled video game hero that bears an uncanny resemblance to ‘80s college football sensation Brian “The Boz” Bosworth.

The developer, who became the full and rightful owner of the Duke Nukem franchise last summer, is now accepting pre-orders for Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour, a remastered version of the 1996 classic Duke Nukem 3D that was recently unveiled during Gearbox’s PAX West panel in Seattle.

The game will include a full remaster of the original using Gearbox’s “True3D Rendering” mode with the ability to toggle between new and original graphics on-the-fly. Best yet, Gearbox has brought together several of the brilliant minds behind the original game to create additional content for the remake.

The original episode designers, Allen Blum III and Richard “Levelord” Gray, have created a fifth episode (Alien World Order) comprised of eight new levels complete with a new soundtrack from Lee Jackson, the game’s original composer and author of the Duke theme song. Gearbox even recruited Jon St. John, Duke’s voice actor, to record new “Duke Talk.”

The game’s first teaser trailer is embedded above.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour hits PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC (via Steam) on October 11 priced at $19.99.

Permalink to story.

Pre-ordering a Duke Nukem game seems like a completely safe and sane thing to do. So long as you manage to completely ignore the IPs history and the fact the unless it's a physical item with limited availability, pre-ordering is in no way, shape or form good for the consumer.

Pre-ordering a Duke Nukem game seems like a completely safe and sane thing to do. So long as you manage to completely ignore the IPs history and the fact the unless it's a physical item with limited availability, pre-ordering is in no way, shape or form good for the consumer.

I have never understood why anyone would buy something ahead of time for the sake of a few in-game bobbles that probably won't aid in your gameplay and that tells the world, "Hey, I'm a pre-ordering *****!" This is especially true when nearly every triple-A title is a giant bugtastic mess at launch. Sure, I can get behind a good Kickstarter simply because you're likely to save money on the final release. Also, assuming the in-game exclusives remain exclusive, it tells the world that you actually believed in the project and put your money where your fandom is.

I'm actually quite excited by a DN3D remaster with new content, from the old team no less! I hope they added some kind of quick catch-up or teleport-to-team feature in multiplayer. Trekking through the whole level when you died was a pain. I also hope the new content meshes well with the old and isn't R-rated. Its incredibly annoying when an update for an old game comes out and it has nothing in common with the original.

Last edited:
Remastered? LoL. I guess that doesn't apply to the graphics. Must be referring to the sound. Or maybe the trailer is not representative of what truly awaits.

Repackaged or rehashed might have been a better word to describe this release.

I have never understood why anyone would buy something ahead of time for the sake of a few in-game bobbles that probably won't aid in your gameplay and that tells the world, "Hey, I'm a pre-ordering *****!" This is especially true when nearly every triple-A title is a giant bugtastic mess at launch. Sure, I can get behind a good Kickstarter simply because you're likely to save money on the final release. Also, assuming the in-game exclusives remain exclusive, it tells the world that you actually believed in the project and put your money where your fandom is.

I'm actually quite excited by a DN3D remaster with new content, from the old team no less! I hope they added some kind of quick catch-up or teleport-to-team feature in multiplayer. Trekking through the whole level when you died was a pain. I also hope the new content meshes well with the old and isn't R-rated. Its incredibly annoying when an update for an old game comes out and it has nothing in common with the original.

Pre-ordering is 98% social and 2% economics. It's like people who do pre-orders on BMWs. They can get the same "bespoke" configuration after the car comes out, but if they buy one a few months out from release they get to be part of the exclusive pre-ordered a toy crowd. It's the same with games. Pre-ordering the latest titles is a status symbol for casuals (the vast majority of the market).

2% of people live near poorly managed GameStops that may be short inventory due to a data entry error from corporate.

Remastered? LoL. I guess that doesn't apply to the graphics. Must be referring to the sound. Or maybe the trailer is not representative of what truly awaits.

Repackaged or rehashed might have been a better word to describe this release.

Remaster = upped the fidelity of pre-existing assets...which they did.

Preordering just means you are supporting the company or corporates. It doesn't matter if the game sucks or not, since uninformed people will pre-order anyway.

It has become a trend nowadays.

There are no more demos being released for people to have a glimpse on the actual gameplay like those days.

But that doesn't stop people from pre-ordering especially the overly milked franchises.

Its remastered.... not an entirely new game. Preordering a remaster would be the safest way to go.... Do you want to replay the original in HD? If you answered yes you will like the game. Iv played through duke 3d again a few years ago its pretty dated.

P.S. There is no difference between buying a game right when its released or pre ordering, either way you haven't played it and there are no reviews. So basically your criticizing people for not watching a review before buying a game... To that I say take a deep hit of your inhaler and get grip. Not everyone wants to watch bribed reviews.

Not to mention pre ordering allows more money to be poured into a game before it's released, beta access and special in game rewards.

Last edited:
Its remastered.... not an entirely new game. Preordering a remaster would be the safest way to go.... Do you want to replay the original in HD? If you answered yes you will like the game. Iv played through duke 3d again a few years ago its pretty dated.

P.S. There is no difference between buying a game right when its released or pre ordering, either way you haven't played it and there are no reviews. So basically your criticizing people for not watching a review before buying a game... To that I say take a deep hit of your inhaler and get grip. Not everyone wants to watch bribed reviews.

Not to mention pre ordering allows more money to be poured into a game before it's released, beta access and special in game rewards.

I wonder if you would have "pre-ordered" Daikatana, if pre-ordering existed back then.

To dumps with rewards and toys. It's the gameplay that matters.

Players testimonies and YouTube videos are enough to get an idea how good or bad a game is.

I don't depend on game reviews magazines websites anyway. It's good to read what they are about instead, rather than see their ratings.

Back