DVD Burner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here and had a question for you guys. Here it goes...

I bought a Gateway computer that had a DVD burner in June and shortly thereafter I broke the pixels inside the computer, long story. Anyway I bought a new Gateway laptop, different model that does not have a DVD Burner. My question is, is it possible to take the DVD burner out of the old laptop and put it into my new one without any software to install anything? I know I will void the warranty on my new laptop but I really want a DVD burner without dishing out 100 to 200 bucks for it.

Any help would be great and maybe some information on going about doing this would be great. Thanks.

Yes, usually the devices are interchangeable between different models from the same era. Just try putting in the burner - if it fits then it works.

You need to install DVD burning software on the new computer (came with the old one I'm sure) if you want to use all features of the burner.

thanks for your help. What if my old computer did not come with any software, I guess i'm not sure cause I'm off at college right now and can't check on that. I know you can download stuff online here, will that work? Also can somebody give me directions as to what I should do to safely remove and put in the DVD burner? Thanks.

For a free CD/DVD burning solution, http://www.cdburnerxp.org is recommended by myself. I've had a lot of customers who were satisfied using this product after being accustomed to Nero and Easy CD Creator.

You can also buy Nero (recommended) at just about any computer/software store.

Every laptop is different so no one can really give you instructions unless they have experience with your exact model of laptop. Sometimes manufacturers have guides on how to remove/add components on their website. Look in Gateway's support section and see if you can find any technical documents.

Many laptops (although I don't remember many gateways like this) have a modular bay which makes it really easy to slide out the optical drive by pressing a button on the side or bottom of the laptop. There are some that are screwed in from the bottom, then they slide right out. And for the rest, you may need to disassemble the entire notebook. :knock:

Good news I was able to easily switch the roms and it worked. Everything seems to be going great except there is a bid of a grinding like noise when my computer starts up, it goes away tho. Anybody know why this is happening? Thanks.

Check all the fans inside that case by removing a side panel, especially the one on the CPU and vid card.
If it's pretty loud it's most likely the one on the PSU...
Replace any if they are not running! Remember Heat Kills.

patio. :cool:

It comes from the DVD RW drive, it goes away right after startup. I'm not worried about it but if you guys know what it could be just let me know.

It is either the drive doing self-initialisation or the BIOS checking if there is a CD to boot from. Nothing to worry about.

Older laptop optical drives are noisey and the older they get the more noise they make.

Thanks for your help. I was able to give myself a pretty nice Christmas present without spending any additional money. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back