DVD Burners not running at full speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corwin613

OK I have 2 Lite On 22x Dual Layer burners installed in my PC both are IDE

A few days ago after a windows update the master burner seemed to stop running at max speed when reading/burning now the 2nd burner seems to be doing the same...

Now the first burner is a couple years old and I have put it to a lot of use but the 2nd burner has barely been used

A few days ago I was ripping and burning a DVD in 25 mins or so now it is taking an hour or more....

Discs being burned on haven't changed and I haven't changed any of the programs settings..

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Might check in device manager to see that they aren't running in PIO mode rather than DMA (think its under the ide controller rather than the drive itself).

What does it mean if they are? because this problem just started a few days ago and I hadn't changed anything.... just had a windows update and problems seemed to occur after i had a program freeze up on me

So what was it in? Did you even check?

I don't think its really fair to ask me to expand on the what ifs before you even try what I suggested....

If its in PIO mode your drives are going to run slow as ****, if its in DMA mode they won't. Its a simple 1st step in troubleshooting question.

Sometimes even a "minor disturbance in the force" is enough to knock them out of DMA. (and into PIO mode).

I changed them both to DMA mode don't know how they got changed but they still are running slow

EDIT: Apparently they are set to PIO mode and i tried to change them but they didn't change....

If you really can't change the mode, even after a reboot, you might consider removing the updates, one at a time, resetting the drive's mode after each one, or rolling the computer back a couple of days.

Try going to the Device Manager again but this time go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall the channel the optical drives are connected to and uninstall it. Restart the PC and Windows will automatically reinstall them and then check to see if they have gone back to DMA mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back