DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing

centrino207

I use DVD-R for almost a month only thing on it is pictures and word doc so nothing can go to wrong. I do back ups I would say almost 2 times a week.

I have use this DVD-R for almost a month and every thing is working okay.Now on the 5 sessions some thing gone wrong . When I click start , computer ,DVD drive it shows no files nothing .

It like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files. When I right click on the drive and click on properties it shows 337MB used and that is about right .
I don't know what to do it like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files.But the properties it shows 337MB used that about right.

I was using windows vista built in burning software.This all stop working after I copy an paste folder to other folder on the disc .

I than tried Nero 9 the basic burning software and when in Nero burning software I click on analyze disc it shows 5 sessions and 337MB used and that is about right .I than tried to make copy of bad disc .When I click copy disc it copies it and than tells me to put in new disc and copies to it but it is still not showing up when I click on start , computer ,DVD drive .

So it seems it still there but for some reason it cannot see it.

Burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk is most likely the problem. (Ideally, you should be using an external hard drive to backup) You should use DVD-RW, rewritable, disks and just burn everything in one session, close the disk; then move onto next DVD-RW, burn everything, close disk. continue this until you are back to the original disk in a rotation, then erase the disk, and continue on.
As for why you cannot see data on the DVD-R disk, it's most likely because of the multiple sessions. On a DVD-R or +R disk you should burn once, and be done with it. You might be able to recover data with a 3rd party program, but since it's optical media my hopes are not high. Be sure to have the "show hidden files & folders" option ticked on so maybe, if the files are hidden on the DVD-R disk you might be able to see them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps you in the future.

Unfortunely ITLogic is right, burning multiple sessions on a DVD-R, is not a great plan. I personally back up my important files to either, as IT suggusted, a external hard drive, or a networked external HDD on another computer. That way even if the computer you are working on goes down, the computer running the backups is still working.

Sorry I don't have good news.

~Alex

All this is because the dvd-r was not finalized. The dvd+rw is expected to operate as you intend, but not the dvd-r.
Also, the dvd+rw must always and only be inserted into the same machine.

That is unfortunely true, I have made this mistake once before, before I switched to network backups. It was NOT fun having to recover my files from different places when it should have been backed up to one.

~Alex

I have done it many times before to DVD-R disk and no problem doing multiple sessions . What seems to cause me lots and lots of problems in past is if I try to copy and paste it !! It works if I right click the folder and click send to DVD !! But what happan this time like some other times that stop working is if I copy and paste it .

Anyways in future I should have two backups that way if one does work I can use the other backups .

Also I think CD's and DVD's are more prone to errors than USB drive for some reason. May be I should use USB stick than I can just copy and paste .

I was alway reading windows before windows 7 have hard time with DVD's

Back