DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing

By centrino207
Aug 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I use DVD-R for almost a month only thing on it is pictures and word doc so nothing can go to wrong. I do back ups I would say almost 2 times a week.

I have use this DVD-R for almost a month and every thing is working okay.Now on the 5 sessions some thing gone wrong . When I click start , computer ,DVD drive it shows no files nothing .

It like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files. When I right click on the drive and click on properties it shows 337MB used and that is about right .
    I don't know what to do it like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files.But the properties it shows 337MB used that about right.

I was using windows vista built in burning software.This all stop working after I copy an paste folder to other folder on the disc .

I than tried Nero 9 the basic burning software and when in Nero burning software I click on analyze disc it shows 5 sessions and 337MB used and that is about right .I than tried to make copy of bad disc .When I click copy disc it copies it and than tells me to put in new disc and copies to it but it is still not showing up when I click on start , computer ,DVD drive .

So it seems it still there but for some reason it cannot see it.
  2. ITLogicSystems

ITLogicSystems TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

Burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk is most likely the problem. (Ideally, you should be using an external hard drive to backup) You should use DVD-RW, rewritable, disks and just burn everything in one session, close the disk; then move onto next DVD-RW, burn everything, close disk. continue this until you are back to the original disk in a rotation, then erase the disk, and continue on.
    As for why you cannot see data on the DVD-R disk, it's most likely because of the multiple sessions. On a DVD-R or +R disk you should burn once, and be done with it. You might be able to recover data with a 3rd party program, but since it's optical media my hopes are not high. Be sure to have the "show hidden files & folders" option ticked on so maybe, if the files are hidden on the DVD-R disk you might be able to see them.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps you in the future.
  3. alexe3831

alexe3831 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Unfortunely ITLogic is right, burning multiple sessions on a DVD-R, is not a great plan. I personally back up my important files to either, as IT suggusted, a external hard drive, or a networked external HDD on another computer. That way even if the computer you are working on goes down, the computer running the backups is still working.

Sorry I don't have good news.

~Alex
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,031   +222

All this is because the dvd-r was not finalized. The dvd+rw is expected to operate as you intend, but not the dvd-r.
    Also, the dvd+rw must always and only be inserted into the same machine.
  5. alexe3831

alexe3831 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

That is unfortunely true, I have made this mistake once before, before I switched to network backups. It was NOT fun having to recover my files from different places when it should have been backed up to one.

~Alex
  6. centrino207

centrino207 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

I have done it many times before to DVD-R disk and no problem doing multiple sessions . What seems to cause me lots and lots of problems in past is if I try to copy and paste it !! It works if I right click the folder and click send to DVD !! But what happan this time like some other times that stop working is if I copy and paste it .

Anyways in future I should have two backups that way if one does work I can use the other backups .

Also I think CD's and DVD's are more prone to errors than USB drive for some reason. May be I should use USB stick than I can just copy and paste .

I was alway reading windows before windows 7 have hard time with DVD's

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.