DVD/CD burner problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-

Just ran into a problem with audio distortion while ripping cds to my windows media library. Its brand new, but im wondering if my burning 70 discs to my library has somehow affected the performance. Im wondering what the shelve life is on these things before they start acting screwy. It still burns cds though, just cant listen to music while its doing so. This didn't start happening until 5 to 10 cd's ago. Please help if you have info.

Anything can go wrong with an optical drive, and usually does within a year. The more you use it, the greater the risk of alignment problems, and data transfers.
None of them can be repaired or adjusted. When one becomes bad, you get another. They are that low in cost! Optical drives are basically disposables made mostly by machine.
And yes, the more you burn the shorter the life of the drive, in our experience.

shelf life varies greatly. But sequential burning of large quantities of discs will definitely heat up the laser - perhaps even burning it out prematurely, especially on cheaper models. The drives are cheap anyway nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back